Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a new 1895g 45-70 for deer hunting in ohio. i'm new to this gun as i always used slug guns. i bought hornady leverevolution ammo for it. 325gr. i would like some advice on a scope for it. i have about a 300 budget for a scope and mounts. i have a bushnell 1.75-4 on one of my slug guns with the circle ret that i really like. i also had a leupold 2-7x33 on my other slug gun(that i sold) that i liked also, but i never seemed to take the scope over 4 power. majority of my shots will be under a 100, with the occasional long shot if everthing is right. so any tips for a scope, mounts, and ring heights would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, brian

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Consider the Vortex Diamondback V 1.75-5x 32. Optics are outstanding for this price range. There is an available dead hold BDC reticle for an extra $10. Use low rings. I love mine. Optics equal or better than Leupold VXII.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
I am partial to the Leupold or Burris steel mounts and rings but the WEAVERS have also served ne well over the years.
Leupold, Weaver, Burris< Bushnell, redfield all have suitable scopes, based on your preference.
don't rule out the scopes over 4 power just yet, as you get older you will need them and then have to replace them with higher magnification (been thru that drill, because when I weas in my 20's and 30's, I did not need anything above 4x, now in my 50's, that 7 and 9 power comes in handy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't rule out the scopes over 4 power just yet, as you get older you will need them and then have to replace them with higher magnification (been thru that drill, because when I weas in my 20's and 30's, I did not need anything above 4x, now in my 50's, that 7 and 9 power comes in handy
that's some good advice, i haven't found the need to take the scope over 4x yet, but i am 44, and i now need reading glasses.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Consider the Vortex Diamondback V 1.75-5x 32. Optics are outstanding for this price range. There is an available dead hold BDC reticle for an extra $10. Use low rings. I love mine. Optics equal or better than Leupold VXII.
thanks, i'll look into that scope.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Just don't get raised rings trying to save using iron sights. I tried that and could not get the crosshairs to bore line. And welcome to the forum Hopin. You will always find very nice and helpful people on this forum.

Reactions: hopintocash2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just don't get raised rings trying to save using iron sights. I tried that and could not get the crosshairs to bore line. And welcome to the forum Hopin. You will always find very nice and helpful people on this forum.
i have no interest in see thru rings, i tried that once, won't do it again. looking for what would be best for this gun from people that have expierence with it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Bushnell circle-x scopes. I would say go with the same as on your shotgun. You are used to it and that makes things simpler. The circle-x is quick on game.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
that's some good advice, i haven't found the need to take the scope over 4x yet, but i am 44, and i now need reading glasses.:)
that is exactly how I got my start on need higher magnification and about the time I reached my mid to late 40's (LOL)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Leupold, Burris steel bases and rings as mentioned. Also check out DNZ one piece mounts, made from aluminum and very strong, usefull when weight reduction is a goal. Difference between field of view between a 1.75X or 2X compared to the advantage of 7X over 4x, cause me to lean toward 2x7 for a general purpose rig, or 1.75x 5 for a dedicated brush rig. Either one will balance the rifle nicely. As mentioned, try to keep the mounts on the low side, using the hammer extension if needed or by preference.

Reactions: jmfox3

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the DNZ medium mount with the Weaver V3 1-3x20. It works great and the DNZ med will go over a ghost ring with no bore alignment issues. For rings, I wouldn't go any lower than a Leupold medium.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I have a 2.5-10 Burris on the '06
A 70s vintage Redfield "Widefield" 2-7 on the FAL
and just bought another 70s Redfield "Widefield" 2-7 for an AR build I'm doing in 7.62x39 off fleabay (perfect condition)

Now I'm researching rings, which brought me by here

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't care for the circle ret. myself, just too much stuff in the way of my view for me.

I put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 on both my 1894 44 mag and my 1895GS recently for my hunting in wooded hills of SE Ohio. While my shots are rarely over 60 yds where I hunt I like having the 7x available for distinguishing antlered from antlerless deer. Per Ohio regs. anything over 3 inches = antlered deer and 3 to 5 or 6 inch, even larger antlers can be difficult to see in low light or bright light with shadows or glare. The ears can blend in with small antlers and hide them.

I have hunted with 1.5-4.5x scopes but went to 2-7x a long time ago even on my slug guns for the reasons given. I dont like a 3-9x much because the 3x can be too much on very close deer in the woods for me. That is why I settled on a 2x-7x. I still have a few deer guns sporting 3-9x scopes but I usually keep my 2-7x on 2 or 2.5 while on the stand in my hunting spot and zoom up for a better look at deer that are farther away if I have the time or need.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
any thoughts on the new redfield revolution 2x7x33. they have one with a circle ret. that i like.
I think that after the vintage that I have were made, Redfield got bought out and is now different in quality than they were then.
I have not used a modern Redfield, just the older ones.

·
Registered
326 Posts
any thoughts on the new redfield revolution 2x7x33. they have one with a circle ret. that i like.
I recently escaped from the pain of scope hunting! I spent HOURS doing the research and the "new" Redfields are made overseas but backed and owned by Leupold. Most Leupolds are made in USA and I chose a VX-1 2-7 for my 45-70. In the future if I ever decide to change the reticale I can send it back to Leupold and have it done.

The issues that tipped the scales for me going to Leupold were the comments/reviews. Everyone seems to either compare to Leupold ar comment they wish for one, or have changed to one. It does not hurt that I have a nice Leupold 6-18 on my Rock River AR platform so I have experience.

Compare to cost of the scopes. Not the initial cost but do the math and over a longer period of time the upper end scopes are only a few cents a week more money......... makes the higher end scopes worth the wait to save up some extra coin instead of settling on what you can afford.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I was content with my cheap ( and I do mean cheap ) scopes till I tried to shoot good groups ( like some I saw in hunting magazines ) then my shooting friend from work let me shoot his deer rifle with a Leupold 3.5x10 AO.
I said " well this is just great, you just cost me 219 bucks" if was several years ago , and I NEVER regretted it ( or sold it )
They do cost a bit more, but I like the clarity , and the finer crosshairs. I've never had to send one back but I've heard good things about their customer service. I do wish they were cheaper, but then again I wish guns were made like they were 30 yrs ago
BoB

1 - 20 of 41 Posts