Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Newbie looking for advise

1K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Old Creek 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I have just registered here. I am from New Zealand and predominantly collect Winchester & Krico rifles. I have the opportunity to purchase this Marlin Rifle (I know nothing about Marlin whatsoever). I quite like it but I would like to hear from you guys as to the rifle and as to the value. It does come with both firing pins.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Waynesworld.

#17 ·
I would buy it as a collector piece; not a shooter. Ammo is an issue. If I found one for 1500 to 1800 I would be hard pressed not to purchase. I would be dying to rebore but in the end I would give it a museum restoration and put it in the lair. The guy on MidwayUSA has a video on museum restorations and I have a acquaintance that does this kind of stuff in a museum. Her biggest advice was to get a good supply of Renaissance Wax.

#4 ·
Looks like it's in better condition than most that show up these days. So; Marlin 1892 round barrel .32 cal, special sights on both ends. If the bore is very good 1500 frog hides. Remember that ammunition is very difficult to find. You can reload the center fire by modification of the cases, and buying heeled bullets. Only other way is to rechamber to .32s&w long.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Welcome Kiwi from Southern California,

I must say, with a walk in safe stocked like that, I would like to understand more about the Kiwi definition of a Newbie or what you consider a seasoned sportsman.

Nice collection. Be very cautious the disease know as Marlinitis is equally as inflammatory as Winchesteritis. Good to see there are a few empty slots. It appear they are asking for occupancy.

Reactions: 94win30wcf
#20 ·
Welcome Kiwi from Southern California,

I must say, with a walk in safe stocked like that, I would like to understand more about the Kiwi definition of a Newbie or what you consider a seasoned sportsman.

Nice collection. Be very cautious the disease know as Marlinitis is equally as inflammatory as Winchesteritis. Good to see there are a few empty slots. It appear they are asking for occupancy.
LOL, yes it is like a disease. By newbie, I meant Newbie to your Marlin forum, not a newbie to firearms. I am more of a collector than a shooter although I do hunt when I can. It is really tough to find high condition Winchesters down here, most are well used. Hence this Marlin caught my eye so now I am flat out diving into the world of Marlins. Cool stuff too, I never realised there was such a following to Marlin rifles.

#29 ·
Welcome from Pennsylvania! I have a Model 1892 with both firing pins also...yours is in much better condition though. I DO NOT know what the importation laws are related to components for reloading buuuut. If you go to Gunbroker and type in 32 long colt eventually a listing will come up for a guy called TENMILE. He offers modified cases and bullets for the 32 centerfire round your rifle uses. He is a WEALTH of information on these guns and the ammo. Even if you can't buy and import he will tell you how to modify available cases to make a box or so "just to have". If I may be of assistance PM me.

#30 ·
Welcome from Pennsylvania!! Nice rifle!!!

Reactions: waynesworld
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.