Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few words of introduction... As a kid I wanted a 39A pretty badly but couldn't afford one and couldn't get past that big screw on the side of the receiver (don't ask me why, I've since come to appreciate its appearance with form following function). Then I wanted an original Browning T-Bolt but the dealer wouldn't sell me one because he had been too badly burned by salt wood Brownings. I settled for a Grade II BL-22 which I still own - it has served me very well for nearly a half century.

Still, I have had a burning desire to get back to the rifles I pined for as a youth. First to come into the stable was a new-generation T-Bolt. I like it a lot as it's a fine rifle and absolutely no slouch in the accuracy department. Then came an original T-Bolt; it is everything I had hoped and is scary-accurate, all-round an excellent shooter.

With the Browning itch scratched I started to look for Marlins. A 1990 39AS came along and I snapped it up. These are COVID times so I figured it might be a while before I saw another decent Model 39. It was only a couple of weeks later that a pristine 1956 Model 56 dropped into my lap. I knew nothing about the 56 & 57 Levermatics but, having enjoyed the short lever throw of the BL-22 the Levermatic was love at first sight. Yes, mine is quite a good shooter to boot!

Next came a rifle with very special meaning for me as I shot my first deer with it as a teenager. I inherited the 1956 Model 336 which my brother and I had bought (used) for my dad in the late '70's. He loved that rifle, as did I. With his passing it seemed natural the rifle would come to me. But of course now I had to find a Model 39 that would provide a visual match for the 336 and its lovely mellow patina. I lucked into a 1950 Model 39A that is indeed that visual match. It's not in perfect condition and that's pretty much what I wanted. Importantly, it's Ballard rifling has not deteriorated over time and it is proving to be tack-driver accurate. Last night I fitted it with a Williams 5D aperture sight so I'm expecting even better groups from this rifle.

The last Marlin to come into the stable is a 1970 Model 39M Mountie. It's in very good condition, but, just as I prefer, clearly is a shooter rather than a wall hanger. It just arrived a couple of days ago and received it's Burris 32mm 2-7x scope last night. If I'm lucky and it's not too cold tomorrow I might get a chance to shoot it.

So there you have it. After pining for a Marlin for nearly 50 years my collection went from zero to five in less than a year. My poor old wallet has taken a beating but one trip to the range with one of these rifles is all it takes to put a huge grin on my face. "Worth it!" is what I say!

Photos below in order of acquisition... Model 39AS, Model 56, Model 336, Model 39A, Model 39M
(Yes, it's an addiction!)

Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wood Wind instrument Shotgun

Wood Air gun Shotgun Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.
Nice selection of Marlins.........
Many thanks for the welcome. I have been very fortunate indeed to have lucked into these rifles. Now if only we could get past the closure of our ranges thanks to Mr. Covid... I'd really like to get out and do some more group testing with them.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
A hearty Welcome from NC. Enjoy them all as I have for many years.

Nice "Perch Bellies", the large forearms...

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Welcome from northern NY, and congrats on your rifle purchases!

Reactions: TimR

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
Welcome to marlinowners.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The Original 444 Marlin®" Country! Hooaaahhhh!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

For a minute there I thought somebody was looking at my arms as I was typing and decided they looked like perch bellies! :oops::giggle:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very good looking rifles. Welcome from Franklin County, Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
i have a little of everything.
59 Posts
welcome! im a newbie as well. im right on the Canadian border in n. Maine. my relatives are from Quebec. killed my 1st. moose in 05' with 1 shot from my marlin 444. been in love ever since.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome from Maryland. Sorry to hear about your Marlinitis. All of us here feel your pain!

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Britton

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome from SE Ohio! My first rifle was (I believe) a Model 57, so your 56 but with the tube magazine. Wish I still had it....

~Kees~

1 - 20 of 23 Posts