Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Just thought I would introduce myself. Have been hunting and shooting for the past, well lets say too long, yet not long enough. Have predominately been a bolt action man but am in the process of purchasing a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 which just happens to be my post code (zip) in Australia. I live in Queensland in the red deer country but have hunted extensively throughout Australia, with one trip to Canada, two to Africa and New Zealand.

Roll my own ammo (reload) but have had very little to do with reloading for a lever gun so looking forward to the new challenge. Not having had much to do with Marlin prior to this I would like to know a couple of things. Firstly can you date your Marlin by serial # or is there some other method? Secondly the rifle I have bought has a loose fore end, is this common and what is the normal fix for this problem?

Thanks fellas look forward to learning some new stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! We're glad you've joined us! John

·
Administrator
28,297 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners'

Yes you can date your firearm with serial number. Just google "dating your marlin firearm serial numbers."

How loose is the forearm? On my 308MX it's forearm is loose enough to make a clicking sound when picking it up from rest by it's forearm. It shoots 1/2 inch MOA at 100YDS and is no problem.

Enjoy the site and you can use the advance search feature in the right hand corner to search for any topic.

Jack.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
welcome aboard....most times you can subtract the first 2 digits of the serial number from 100 and get the manuf date...there are various headings listed under the forum heading that cover everthing from manu dates - gunsmithing - everything. Plus there are members that have forgotten far more than most folks will ever know about Marlins.

we have a good representation from "down under" as well....the Australia, New Zealand Marlin Owners -ANZMO- members are friendly and in your neck o the woods.

I personally have never had an issue with a tiny bit of loose in the forearm....tiny bit...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
G'day ****, welcome aboard.
If you give us the first couple of didgets of the serial number we should be able to date your rifle. A pic or two wouldn't hurt either.

Let me know if you'd like to join Team ANZMO (Aus & NZ Marlin Owners) and I'll get you signed up.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard! Enjoy your new rifle...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello **** and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America" "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Southeast Kansas!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'.Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Hope you enjoy the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts