Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I hate to admit it, I over stepped my knowledge threshhold.
1895GS, 45-70, put a WWG big loop lever on, transferred the plunger, spring, and pin. Worked ok, little stiff, kept cycling it, hoping to wear it in some how. It was going good except the last 1/4" closing the lever was stiff. Then opening it was even stiffer. So I took a piece of emory paper and went over the point on the plunger, thinking it would make it easier to open. NOT! Locked up like it was welded shut! Can't get it open! Help! I've closed it and can't get it open!
Any advise would be great.
Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
603 Posts
did you get the 2 little screws mixed up? the longer one goes on the bottom, the shorter goes through the side of the reciever.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Wish I could help but there are plenty of gunsmith type folks here that can help with that one. That is probably the biggest reason I haven't ordered one of those levers for my guide gun.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When you say "plunger" are you talking about the plunger in the mag tube? If so, that should not effect the lever. ???

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Take out the lever screw, then see if you can remove the lever. Sounds like the lever latch is binding. Once you get the lever off, remove the latch roll pin and latch plunger. Get a 1/4" drill bit and with slow speed go into the latch plunger hole. Smooth up the hole and the plunger should work more freely. You may also take 2 coils off the plunger spring while you have it out.

There may be some other areas that need attention, new parts usually don't drop in without some adjustment unless you get lucky. Work on one area at a time until it works perfect.

Cock the hammer back when you try to take out the lever, it might let the bolt slide back a little easier to help get the lever out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the lever screw out, but could not budge the lever. Don't recall if the hammer was back or not. I did not take any other screws out except the lever
screw.
Any other help out there?
Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
603 Posts

tyr that screw. also having the hammer cocked will help take pressure off the bolt.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't know man, but if it was me I would start a total dissasembly. Start taking screws out if you're comfortable doing that until the problem exposes itself. Take the rear stock off first then go from there.
It's hard to give advise on this one without having the gun in front of me, but I think either the new lever you got is either A) defective and needs to be returned or B) Installed incorrectly, and I don't know how that could be

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well , I took it to my gunsmith. He said the sanding og the lever plunger is what locked it up. Says that plunger has a very distinct angle which you can not change. I changed it! Lockup! Oh well, lesson learned. Don't over step your knowledge!
Thanks for all the replies and help offered.
Robert

·
Registered
84 Posts
So did the smith install a new plunger ? I just put on a DRC BIG LOOP my gun also locked up ,removed the lever screw mine comes out ,runs fine with org lever .

well thats fixed just had to file the plunger on the lever one stroke at a time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts