Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Nice gun and good caliber. I have fired lots of different calibers but somehow missed the 338 but I know what it is capable of. Recently a guy I know died and my friend bought all of his guns from his widow. One of the guns was a 35th anniversity Mark V in 300 Weatherby with a 4 x Weatherby scope mounted on it. The rifle and scope was housed in a alumimum case with a box of ammo with one shell missing from the box. The case and rifle butt both had a little medallion that stated 35th anniversity and the rifle looked as if someone took a paint brush with black paint and striped the rifle, it was absolutely beautiful. I bought it from my friend and resold it later but I wish I had kept it. Does your rifle have a 24 inch barrel or a 26 inch barrel?

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
That ought to be one heck of an elk rifle!

Post up when you get a chance to take her to the range. Looking forward to seeing some hunting photos with it this fall!

Congrats on a nice purchase.

Guy

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be picking up some ammo for this rifle, next week during the grand opening of the new Cabelas in Missoula. Then I'll see what this can do out at 200yds. This is a 20yo rifle, fired about 120 times. Looks to have been mostly a safe queen. Was bought for a Moose hunting trip to Alaska and came back still a virgin.

Beautiful wood.

Gun Shotgun Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
21,089 Posts
Congrats on a beauty!:tee:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is a beauty!!!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It's a beauty! I didn't know the older Mark V's were available in .338 WM. Awesome cartridge! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Very nice! I have a German made Mark V Deluxe in 300 Wby. Love that gun! Keep an eye on your scope though - I have had more than one Nikon die due to heavy recoil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very nice Whtby. I had one in 300.wthby. Great rifle, I took my first elk with her. I started with a Leoupold 3x9x40. It died from recoil too, Now I did buy it used, not knocking leoupold scopes. I went to a Nikon 3x9x40 monarch, I never had a problem with it till i stupidly sold the rifle. You made a great choice. You can take any game in North American , and then some.:congrats:

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Sweet looking rifle! Try these guys for your ammo too. They have mixed availability, but the ammo from them that I have used runs well for me. Made in Montana. I.Q. Metals Inc. - HSM ammunition

Reactions: montanaMarlin336

·
Banned
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice Whtby. I had one in 300.wthby. Great rifle, I took my first elk with her. I started with a Leoupold 3x9x40. It died from recoil too, Now I did buy it used, not knocking leoupold scopes. I went to a Nikon 3x9x40 monarch, I never had a problem with it till i stupidly sold the rifle. You made a great choice. You can take any game in North American , and then some.:congrats:
I've been able to justify my rifle purchases so far. This one I had to go outside the lines. If Grizzlies come off the endangered species list, I now have the rifle to hunt them. :flute:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.