Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Suspect dead. ..................Domestic violence. .......I always found the armed suspect robbery in progress whether a bank or liquor store or whatever, to be of absolutely no comparison, NONE, in the level of danger/risk or stress than in a domestic violence call, especially an apartment or home. .........They have 'all' the initial advantage. A 911 hang up or open line from an apartment or home is a real crap shoot........................

New York state trooper killed responding to domestic dispute, official says | Fox News

John

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
I absolutely hated going to domestics. Especially alone.
Either one or the other or both could turn on you as soon as one was being arrested.
In Wisconsin, it is the only call a cop will respond to, where the law requires an arrest to be made.
Rest In Peace, fallen trooper.
Andew

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
I understand the "rule" now is if there is a domestic call where there has been a fight, at least one person goes to jail no matter what. what ever happened to reasoning and giving the benefit of the doubt? using common sense, instead of adding more misery to people. I guess I am a dinosaur living in the past,,,,,,,,,,

·
Super Moderator
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.........The Officer has discretion to use common sense. In California, if the Officer has evidence before him of physical assault or reasonable cause to believe the other party is in imminent danger, he's obligated to act. This may or may not result in an arrest depending on the circumstance. You will be damned if you do, and the same if you don't. Folks want the Law to fix there problems .........the way they want them fixed. Don't work that way.

John

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
It's always said to hear of an officer loosing his life while doing his job! Prayers for the family.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Even though nothing will eliminate the risks, you should have at least two officers respond to domestic violence calls. God’s prayers and RIP !

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yep your never sure what the heck you got or who even is the problem. Sad days and all to dang common.

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
"New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo referred to Clark as "a stellar trooper with an extraordinary record. He had his whole life before him."
Not that you REALLY care about an officer dyin'! RIP Officer Clark and prayers sent!

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
RIP NY Trooper Nicholas Clark. Prayers sent for your loved ones. May God comfort them in their time of grieving. And protect and look after them in the future.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,722 Posts
In the early 70's my many of training officer's were a little more lenient. At scenes that displayed no outright signs of violence they would warn the complainants that if we had to come back someone would go to jail. It actually worked quite well. But then we had the regulars:

The 'Smith' family was a comedy of errors. The husband was the victim almost always. "I'm a stubborn Scotsman, she's a hot headed Moroccan I married in WWII. I love her", while blood was running down his face. In those days our hands were tied. He would not ever press charges. It happened so often that all the surrounding families would bring out their lawn chairs to watch the entertainment.

Eventually Florida law evolved to if there was any evidence of violence one or both went to jail. Much smarter approach.

AC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.