Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Hoping some members in NY can answer this. If I have a licensed NYS gun smith permenatley install a 10 round magazine that is non removable to my AR, does it still have to be registered even tho it has a pistol grip and threaded muzzle? Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
God and Cuomo are the only ones that know now.Everything else will be sorted out in court case by case. The simple fact of whether the mag is fixed or removal able might make it compliant today but what about next week??? Do you really think the libs will stop with this bull!!!! law.Just look at the NYC, when nysafe act say we were down to a 7 round limit lol . NYC was already at 7 and they went down to 5.NYC every gun has to be registered .
Thank GOD for are unalienable rights and FUAC.
God bless America and all that fought for this country.
Durf

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hi all. Hoping some members in NY can answer this. If I have a licensed NYS gun smith permenatley install a 10 round magazine that is non removable to my AR, does it still have to be registered even tho it has a pistol grip and threaded muzzle? Thanks.
I am not a lawyer just a guy involved in the NY fight. That being said, it is my understanding that if you have a gunsmith permanently install a 10 round mag in the mag well of your rifle then you do NOT have to register it under the current SAFE act. In fact once the mag is permanently installed you can have all the other evil features on the gun...like a muzzle break or pistol grip or bayonet lup, etc... The key here is that the 10 round mag needs to be permanently fixed in the mag well. The screw that holds the mag in the mag well needs to have the head removed so that it is not easily removed by normal means. You can then get a quick release rear pin so the upper hinges in the front pin for loading. The kit is about $50, and I am not sure what a smith would charge to do the conversion.
Van Tassell's gunsmithing in Watertown NY is doing this to AR-15 rifles and he also has them for sale in his shop modified like this. Google his shop and give them a call.
There are other ways around the SAFE act registration requirement too, but you only asked about the mag so I will stop here.

Again, I am not a lawyer but this is how it was explained to me by Mr Van Tassell

Reactions: erimort

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Little by little the LIBS will make sure that the only people in NY that have guns are the Police and the Criminals.

Mike T.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Amazon.com: AR MR2 Mag Release Mod CA NY CT MD Legal AR15 AR10: Sports & Outdoors

This gizmo replaces the standard magazine release and makes your AR a fixed-magazine rifle without any welding or damage to your lower. Then you are allowed to have all the other evil features without being required to register. YET. As Durf said above, it's only a matter of time. Count on them to take another bite of the apple as soon as the dust settles.

And no matter what they tell you, registration IS confiscation. Again, it's only a matter of time. Do whatever you have to do to avoid registration.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Amazon.com: AR MR2 Mag Release Mod CA NY CT MD Legal AR15 AR10: Sports & Outdoors

This gizmo replaces the standard magazine release and makes your AR a fixed-magazine rifle without any welding or damage to your lower. Then you are allowed to have all the other evil features without being required to register. YET. As Durf said above, it's only a matter of time. Count on them to take another bite of the apple as soon as the dust settles.

And no matter what they tell you, registration IS confiscation. Again, it's only a matter of time. Do whatever you have to do to avoid registration.
That looks like the kit they showed to me, except they told me it had to be "permanently" installed in your lower for the modification to pass the SAFE act test. Just what I was told, who knows for sure?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Won't be long before NY makes PICTURES of guns illegal, I for one will never move there, and hats off to those who do, you put up with a lot more than I would be able to!

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Won't be long before NY makes PICTURES of guns illegal, I for one will never move there, and hats off to those who do, you put up with a lot more than I would be able to!
Move Here :ahhhhh:, NO Don't do That!!! I'm Tryin to get OUTTA HERE, FAST! :driver:

BloodGroove4570 :tee:

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
That looks like the kit they showed to me, except they told me it had to be "permanently" installed in your lower for the modification to pass the SAFE act test. Just what I was told, who knows for sure?
That kit will not pass muster. This is from the law: "A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE.....". It all hinges on those 5 words - "has an ability to accept". These kits being sold are not "permanent" as you note as the end user can easily modify the rifle to again accept a detachable magazine - ergo it retains "the ability to accept". The modification must be permanent and non-reversible. :flute:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
That kit will not pass muster. This is from the law: "A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE.....". It all hinges on those 5 words - "has an ability to accept". These kits being sold are not "permanent" as you note as the end user can easily modify the rifle to again accept a detachable magazine - ergo it retains "the ability to accept". The modification must be permanent and non-reversible. :flute:
Just saying Van Tassells is selling them modified like this in Watertown NY. The owner told me he has a lawyer and has worked with NY State police on it. Seriously give them a call if you don't believe me...Van Tassells Gunsmithing.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Just saying Van Tassells is selling them modified like this in Watertown NY. The owner told me he has a lawyer and has worked with NY State police on it. Seriously give them a call if you don't believe me...Van Tassells Gunsmithing.
I refer to the kit itself. As you note - they are being modified to be "permanent". I know of the business you refer to - they are ripoffs. It says right in the law that private transfers done by a FFL are to be charged $10. The business in question apparently is tacking on an additional $15 as a "filing fee" while other FFL's in the region only charge the $10 fee listed in the law. They are scamming people. :flute:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I refer to the kit itself. As you note - they are being modified to be "permanent". I know of the business you refer to - they are ripoffs. It says right in the law that private transfers done by a FFL are to be charged $10. The business in question apparently is tacking on an additional $15 as a "filing fee" while other FFL's in the region only charge the $10 fee listed in the law. They are scamming people. :flute:
Interesting. I don't know them well at all but I've never had a problem with them either. I also never asked them about the private transfer fee. I know my two FFL buddies further north just flat out refuse to do a private transfer.
As far as the black rifle conversions to avoid registering the poster asked about, all I am saying is that this guy is an FFL with modified guns on the shelf that are for sale to everyday guys like you and me.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Interesting. I don't know them well at all but I've never had a problem with them either. I also never asked them about the private transfer fee. I know my two FFL buddies further north just flat out refuse to do a private transfer.
As far as the black rifle conversions to avoid registering the poster asked about, all I am saying is that this guy is an FFL with modified guns on the shelf that are for sale to everyday guys like you and me.
Again - I would stress the word "permanent". Because he renders the modification "permanent" - it is okay. If you were to buy the kit and simply switch it out yourself - it would not be okay because it is possible to convert it back to accepting a detachable magazine. As to "fees" and "private transfers". The law does not "mandate" that FFL's do these transfers - it is up to them if they want to do them or not. If they do participate - it states quite clearly in the law that the fee to do so is $10. What your gun dealer is doing is charging folks $10 - and then tacking on an additional fee of $15 for "filing fee" so that it costs you $25 - which incidentally was their the transfer fee prior to the enactment of the Safe Act. I'm not sure that is even "legal". They are ripping people off because most of their client base is military who don't follow the laws and just roll with it. :flute:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Again - I would stress the word "permanent". Because he renders the modification "permanent" - it is okay. If you were to buy the kit and simply switch it out yourself - it would not be okay because it is possible to convert it back to accepting a detachable magazine. As to "fees" and "private transfers". The law does not "mandate" that FFL's do these transfers - it is up to them if they want to do them or not. If they do participate - it states quite clearly in the law that the fee to do so is $10. What your gun dealer is doing is charging folks $10 - and then tacking on an additional fee of $15 for "filing fee" so that it costs you $25 - which incidentally was their the transfer fee prior to the enactment of the Safe Act. I'm not sure that is even "legal". They are ripping people off because most of their client base is military who don't follow the laws and just roll with it. :flute:
I think the permanent part is why Van Tassells said they have to remove the heads of the screws that hold the kit in place. So you can not just remove the kit with tools a regular Joe would have. The permanent part is the key. I knew you could not just install the kit, minus the permanent part.

Also he is not "my" gun dealer. He is just a gun dealer I saw selling modified rifles so I asked him how he could legally do it. He was very nice and willing to tell me what he told me. That is about the only experience I have there, but I would have considered it positive.
As far as the transfer fees, well it is what it is I guess. I never even inquired. I know the law says $10, but the two dealers that are my friends told me it costs them about $30 in time dinking around to do a background check and file whatever they have to file. Both are also against the SAFE act anyway so that certainly doesn't help.

Anyway I am not advocating a position, saying what is right or wrong, just trying to pass on some info that I got first hand to a fellow member who asked...
Semper Fi

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I know the law says $10, but the two dealers that are my friends told me it costs them about $30 in time dinking around to do a background check and file whatever they have to file. Both are also against the SAFE act anyway so that certainly doesn't help.
Their hourly rates must be pretty high then. All they are required to do is what they normally do anyways when they get guns in. They log the gun in their gun register and make a phone call for the NICS check. That's not exactly "a large effort". I have seen FFL's do it time and again. Me thinks folks are telling you BS. :tee:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.