Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in to Sports World in Tulsa for primers and a powder funnel to replace my misplaced one.

I walked out with that stuff plus a Marlin XT .22 -hardwood stock w/ 7 round magazine. It was on their demo gun rack, but it looks like a new gun. Not a blemish on it. I can't find any manufacuring faults, either.

$135.80 + tax seemed like a decent deal to me. I can't wait to shoot it!

T-C

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Please, let us know how shooting goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wound up shooting my new XT-22 the day after I got it. I put 250 rounds through it during that session. Shooting off my cheezy plastic Caldwell rest, no rear bag, gusting light wind with a storm front moving through, and firing bulk-pack Winchester X-Pert 36 grain hollowpoints, the rifle delivered seven-shot groups around 1/4".

It is scoped, for now, with a Bushnell Sportsman 4-12X A.O. attached with Weaver mounts and bases. I had three failures to extract on the first try, and about that many failures to feed. I think these were ammo related.

Yesterday, I finished up the remaining 250 rounds I had on hand. Less wind on this outing. Slightly better results in terms of grouping, with no function failures of any kind. I've shot Anschutz, Cooper, and Kimber .22lr rifes and this woud hang with any of them in the accuracy department.

I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with this rifle. It has not only met my expectations, but has exceeded them.

The fit and finish on this rifle are excellent. The bolt lift is light, bolt travel smooth, and it locks up with tight, "bank vault like" feel. The trigger is very crisp, with no creep or overtravel. It feels a tad heavy, but I seem to have misplaced my RCBS trigger pull gauge and can't measure it right now.

The only complaint that I have is that the magazine sticks out of the bottom of the gun and I would gladly give up 2 rounds of capacity for a more "flush fitting" magazine. Oh, and I wish a nice walnut stock was an option because as nice as the metal is finished on this gun, and as nice as it feels and shoots, decent walnut wouldn't be out of place.

I'm not normally an impulse buy kind of guy but I am very glad I made an exception when I stumbled across this. It has been a very long time since I have been this satisfied ith a new gun purchase and I expect to get a lot of enjoyment out of this rifle.

T-C

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank50 said:
What range were you shooting at? I've been on the fence about picking one up. Congratulations on your new rfile.
Well, I was shooting at the Cherokee Wildlife Management Area range here in Cherokee County, OK at a measured distance of 50 yards on the first day of shooting. All of that was benched as described. On the second outing, I started off benching as described but got bored with that quickly. I think it was Townsend Whelen who is often quoted as saying that "Only accurate rifles are interesting." Well, yes and no.....

After getting bored with the benching stuff, I put an official 50 yard smallbore bullseye target up on the frame and shot it standing. That was a little more of a challenge but not by much. I ten-ringed every shot without too much trouble. I got bored with that, too, and moved on to shooting the same target at 100 yards from standing, sitting, and prone. After that it was plinking little bits of clay pigeon at distances out to 125 yards.

Maybe I just got a good one. Maybe they aren't all like this. I don't know.... But I will say that this XT-22 delivers the goods that an A-Bolt .22, Remington 541-T, and CZ-452 didn't. I've shot some more upscale .22 rifles than those over the years, but so far, I wouldn't trade this XT-22 for any of them. It really is that good, performance-wise.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered a brand New Marlin XT22M and I picked it up Saturday. Nice looking rifle. Im going to keep the stock. My parents have a 813 acre ranch but I havent shot it there yet since Im trying to find a good scope and plus Im working alot. I have a Marlin Model 60 and the gun is so accurate its crazy, I have another Marlin Mag and its accurate as well so Im very sure the new Marlin is going to be just as accurate. Thats why Marlin has such a good reputation. Congrats and have fun.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bullethole said:
I ordered a brand New Marlin XT22M and I picked it up Saturday. Nice looking rifle. Im going to keep the stock. My parents have a 813 acre ranch but I havent shot it there yet since Im trying to find a good scope and plus Im working alot. I have a Marlin Model 60 and the gun is so accurate its crazy, I have another Marlin Mag and its accurate as well so Im very sure the new Marlin is going to be just as accurate. Thats why Marlin has such a good reputation. Congrats and have fun.
I hope you enjoy your new XT22M, "bullethole." If you like it even half as much as I've been enjoying my XT-22, I suspect you'll think your money was wisely spent.

Then again, if you like the thing as much as I like mine, you might be wondering just how many rounds it'll take to blow a great, big, gaping hole in your shooting budget. I've already spent more on the ammo that I've shot through my XT-22 than I spent on the rifle itself, but it is just soooooo satisfying to shoot that I can't help but shoot it nearly every day. At the rate of a brick every two days, owning this rifle is going to be anything but cheap for me. :).

T-C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts