Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Brand new to this forum, just registered today. Looks like a great place to get and give help and ideas.

Just got a new Marlin XL7 in 30-06, replacing a sporterized 1917 Enfield that I bought in 1996. That Enfield was ok, kind of unique, but wouldn't hold a group to save its life. Bought a set of gauges this year and found out the go, no-go, and field gauges dropped right in. Poor old rifle had a worn out barrel.

So I bought the XL7. Great reviews. Inexpensive. And I can change the barrel (and stock to match) at some point. Lots of great options there with the matching Savage threads. The go gauge dropped right in. The bolt wouldn't close on the no-go gauge. Perfect! Can't wait to sight it in.

I have a lot of neck sized 30-06 ammo from the Enfield, and none of it fits the new XL7 chamber (too long, I know, from the shot out barrel on the Enfield). So I'm thinking I will have to pull the bullets, remove the decapping pin from my FL resizing die, resize each case with the primer in, measure the powder back in, reseat the bullets (match seating depth to Marlin chamber), and then go shooting. Anyone do this before? Any pitfalls, or helpful hints?

I have 50 new cases already loaded that I will just reseat the bullet a little deeper to match the Marlin chamber. Wish all mine would be this easy, but I really like neck sizing and get great accuracy out of my other rifle (Ruger M77 MK IIVLE .223) and just want to save all my brass.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
884 Posts
If the loaded stuff doesn't chamber in your marlin, is it due to seating depth, or case length, or case size?

Personally, I'd pull them and start from scratch.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Yep, new rifle, new chamber dimensions. Pull 'em, full length size the brass and then neck size only after they have been fire formed to your new chamber.

Reactions: rfd

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Darn." Looks like I'm going to "have" to hit the reloading bench for a while this weekend and then to the range to "verify....." Darn.......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe you just want to keep the ammo for the Enfield and start fresh for your new gun. I have popped a few hot primers out once, but seemed a shame to waste primers, plus it was a bit scary. If you no longer have the other gun though..it makes my suggestion null. There are loads of used 30-06 brass around my parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts