Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I have never been a fan of post war Remington guns. I know they have gotten worse over the last several years but when I was in the business, 70s- through early 90s, I had to send several new Rem 700s back. I got a couple 280s that looked like barrels were cut off
with a torch. Yet they were polished and blued nicely. Several others with safety problems. A 870 Wing Master that wouldn't accept a
barrel and 572 rifles that had faulty trigger groups. At about the same period I had to return a few Win 70s, all with safety problems.
Savage, were so bad I quit selling them. Marlin, Ruger and Mossberg never had to send a new one back. The time period on this was
85-92. All the companies were in financial troubles and it showed in all them, including Marlin & Ruger but it was fit & finish issues not
related to function.
I don't know - I have my dad's 1980 Rem 700 BDL in .30-06, and it's given me no grief. I wasn't able to shoot it very well, until I floated the barrel and put a Harris bipod on it. Now, it's an X-ring killer! But never had any mechanical issues with it.

I also have a 1943 Remington M1903A3, and it's a great rifle too.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have an XL-7 in .25-06, thait I installed in a Boyds stock that will drive tacks. Its going to stay in my posession.
Dave
Way cool Dave, I have the identical caliber rig in a Boyd's walnut prairie hunter stock. I bedded the receiver and with a hand load, it will put 3 under a nickel coin. 120 gr fusion and imr4350. Or 75 gr vmax over 4064. What are you getting good results with?

Reactions: Kevin.M

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was looking around at CDNN and noticed that the XS7's are now out of stock. That's the last of the production run, as far as I'm aware. Gunbroker and the like will now be the only source for them.

I have 2, both in .243. The first is a JM model, and the second is a Rem. Both are excellent shooters, and if worst comes to worst, I should be able to use the second one as a parts gun to keep the other one working. But it's highly unlikely I would ever need to do so. I've never really had to replace parts on any of my guns, that I can remember.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I still would like to find a x7 VH in 223. I would turn it into a tack driver with very little recoil.
Wood chuck massacre rifle :burnout:

Reactions: Kevin.M

·
Registered
57 Posts
XS7VH in .223 are hard to find these days and overpriced. Why not build your own XS7VH in .223? Just need a XS7 action. Rem 783 .223 bolt heads are available. Boyd's has XS7VH stocks. You can get a custom barrel for as little as $220. Hard to find are the mag spacer, mag spring and follower. So, best to start with a 223 XS7 sporter if you need a repeater. If you want a real tack driver and a hoot to shoot, screw on a 20 Practical tube. Mike

·
Registered
87 Posts
Expanding a little on my previous post, my wife was out for a walk on the Ranch. She had our cattle dogs with her (early warning for trouble) as we have cats running around here.

A coyote was locked up barking and trying to draw our dogs out for a fight. My wife could not get the may-lay to break so she could continue her walk with our dogs.

I was finishing up sighting in a rifle for an employee at our house and every day off was windy that spring until THAT day! I finally was getting the deed done and my wife calls for to please come and run this coyote off!

Being the “boss” she won out. My Marlin .25-06 was needing the point of impact checked as well because I suspected it was shooting a little high and I really did not want to shoot and miss there by educating the coyote. But over there I drove and when I reached the location there sat my wife and the dogs. I pulled my butterfly shooting bag and hearing protection out.

After some coaxing I got tired of waiting for this coyote to turn broadside and fortunately I miss judged the real distance to the target because it turned out my Marlin was hitting even higher than I thought and the two goofs worked out rather well. If I had held for the real longer distance with the scope adjusted even higher than I suspected and the bullet would have sailed over the coyote.

At the shot my wife started laughing because I cut the coyote off in mid howl! His head was down low, the Speer 87 gr. TNT HP just missed the head and transversed lengthwise first through the upper part of the left lung and onto the rear of the predator.

We marked off the coyotes location in her GPS and back at the house put Google Earth to work.

We came up with a solid 435 yds.

Just as my Browning A-Bolt II In .25-06, the Marlin XL 7 is fitted with a 22” barrel and if they were 24 or even 25” I would be even happier with them because this cartridge has long legs and a 22” barrel is less than ideal for it.

Three44s

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I never had the opportunity for that distance but I know I am good out to 200yds with hand loaded Fusion 120gr in the 25-06. Dependable rifle indeed

21 - 29 of 29 Posts