Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CDNN still has scoped ones in 243. Guessing the Compass rebate program is putting a hurt on them.

·
Super Moderator
12,975 Posts
Those are new old stock. Rifle production ended years ago. Selling out of production rifles that you can't get all of the replacement parts for isn't easy when there are cheaper or equal priced alternatives still in production by every manufacturer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
But the Marlin fit and finish was a bit nicer than an Axis, with a better stock. But most Axis' will really shoot

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah but now we have the Remlin 783 ----- who would possibly want an X7 ? (kidding)

Todays best budget rifle is the TC Compass. My 308 was $225 after rebate, shoots bug holes (5R), low bolt lift and is threaded.

the SA X7 would be a deal @$150.

·
Super Moderator
11,608 Posts
Never handled a X7 but bought a Savage Axis last month that was under $160 with the rebate. For that kind of money its hard to go wrong with a new gun.

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I do like my factory walnut stocked XL7W 30-06--it is a better rifle than even the 700 series that Remington is making now. I won't be selling it anytime soon.........

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an XL-7 in .25-06, thait I installed in a Boyds stock that will drive tacks. Its going to stay in my posession. I like it.
I already have a Weaterby .243 or I might get one.
Another example of another a good rifle that Remington deleted from Marlin.

Dave

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Yeah but now we have the Remlin 783 ----- who would possibly want an X7 ? (kidding).
Lol. I have a thread here on the 783. A member at our range brought down a 783 to sight in for deer hunting. It said 270 on the barrel. His shots were all over the place, and he couldn’t figure out why. Turns out his “270” rifle had a .30 caliber bore.

Id rather have an X7.

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I saw that thread and it doesn't surprise me any. I wouldn't ever trade my XL7W 30-06 for even a new Mod 700.

·
Registered
12,985 Posts
I have never been a fan of post war Remington guns. I know they have gotten worse over the last several years but when I was in the business, 70s- through early 90s, I had to send several new Rem 700s back. I got a couple 280s that looked like barrels were cut off
with a torch. Yet they were polished and blued nicely. Several others with safety problems. A 870 Wing Master that wouldn't accept a
barrel and 572 rifles that had faulty trigger groups. At about the same period I had to return a few Win 70s, all with safety problems.
Savage, were so bad I quit selling them. Marlin, Ruger and Mossberg never had to send a new one back. The time period on this was
85-92. All the companies were in financial troubles and it showed in all them, including Marlin & Ruger but it was fit & finish issues not
related to function.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That price seems high compared to the used market in my area. I picked up my first XS7 in 243 for $200 and it was still in the box...never fired. Since then I've seen several others for $170 used to $400 for like new with Leupold VX 2 scope.

·
Registered
165 Posts
you could not pry my MR- 7 out of my fingers. i jave had several rem 700 s in the 70 s and 80 s. they have all been sold. my marlin bolt has taken several deer and stacks the bullets at 100 yards dead on. my cal. is 30 - 06

Reactions: Da Duke and Ret_Eng

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have two X7's in 7-08 I bought back in 2017 still new in the box. I have another in 7-08 also that I have shot several times and it will shoot under 1 inch with most loads and none have ever went over 1.5 inch.

Steve........

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have a XS7 7MM-08 that's definitely not going anywhere, really accurate, and has already killed quite a few deer!!! Just seems to fit my hands perfectly!! T Rex

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Can't tell if it is new but there is one for sale from CDNN Sports MARLIN XS7 243 SYN WITH 3X9 BUSHNELL SCOPE $239.99 is great price too

Make a great Xmas present!

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Can't tell if it is new but there is one for sale from CDNN Sports MARLIN XS7 243 SYN WITH 3X9 BUSHNELL SCOPE $239.99 is great price too

Make a great Xmas present!
Can't believe they have it for sale still. That's a great deal! I'm very tempted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing to consider is most of the critical parts you might need for the discontinued XS7s are still available because of the 783 clone. Bolt head parts, trigger parts, barrels, etc. If I didn't have 8 X7s I would buy more.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
One thing to consider is most of the critical parts you might need for the discontinued XS7s are still available because of the 783 clone. Bolt head parts, trigger parts, barrels, etc. If I didn't have 8 X7s I would buy more.
I always wondered where the XL7's and XS7's went and then I saw the 783. I deeply regret selling my XL7 even though I didn't necessarily like it. It was a good rifle chambered in a good caliber.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Those are new old stock. Rifle production ended years ago. Selling out of production rifles that you can't get all of the replacement parts for isn't easy when there are cheaper or equal priced alternatives still in production by every manufacturer.
I would think you can still get parts for them from Remington. But, what ever really breaks of a bolt rifle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts