Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was looking at macon gunstocks web site and saw sone very nice examples there,i have looked at boyds too .has anyone purchased a macon stock.or do you have any other stock makers you know.i am looking for some extra fancy walnut to dress up my 308mx and 30-30

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
The sky is the limit on fancy stocks. There are private stock makers that can use any wood you want such as English, Turkish, or American Walnut, Cocobolo, Myrtle, and even saw a gorgeous BIRDS EYE MAPLE stock. Cost can also be up in the sky. I saw one set for a Marlin where the wood alone was $3,000.00.

Canyon Creek, Treebone Carving, Great American Gunstock Company, and many other have great stocks unfinished or finished. Some of them will efven custom fit right ot your own guns.

But you got to look at this page and you will see some unreal Marlin wood stocks already finished. I drool uncontrollably every time I go to this site.. . . .

http://macongunstocks.net/marlin_lever_action_rifle_stocks_53.html

GB45

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Golfbuddy, Thanks for that link ...It was worth the price of admission, just like it said in the vacation brochure! ;D

Nice Wood!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Plumbercrackus, I recently bought, installed and finished a stock set from Macons for my 336SDG. I think it turned out well. I had some pictures posted in a thread on this forum named "Got Wood".

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
rj308 said:
Plumbercrackus, I recently bought, installed and finished a stock set from Macons for my 336SDG. I think it turned out well. I had some pictures posted in a thread on this forum named "Got Wood", but evidently after a short period of time, your pictures are deleted from your posts.
I doubt that very much!! Contact Gunjunkie as he is great at solving those kinds of problems.

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Not necessarily. You know how wonderfully perfect technology is. I edited your post but left it in the quote.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I am a wood lover and wood turner - to me it is the wood that "makes" the gun what it is. Yes the barrel, trigger, and action make the shooting part of it but you can not "see" that, only experience it by shooting the rifle/handgun, feel the kick, and see where it hits the target but a beautiful stock or stock set is what makes the character of the gun. I held a custom made .30-06 belonging to the owner of a large local gun store. It was presented to him by the manufacturer in Germany by the owner of the company. The rifle metal was flawless and the engraving impeccable - but that wood stock was made in heaven by master craft angels. It is the only way to describe that wood that almost seems to be translucent so that you are looking into the heart of the wood.

Regarding the pictures - if you use a host site to store the pictures, PHOTOBUCKET, for example, and then you delete the pictures on that hosting site then the pictures will disappear from any related post. Do not know if that is what happened in your case but it may have been.

GB45

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
there is some nice wood on macon's website. i have visited that area several times and bought stocks when one of the former companies was in there old location near downtown. beautiful area to visit, camp, fish etc. great folks in that part of the country. lee

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you got to look at this page and you will see some unreal Marlin wood stocks already finished. I drool uncontrollably every time I go to this site.. . . .

i know ..i look at their sight and that page at least two or three times a week,especially the ones towards the bottom of the page

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
rj308 said:
I found a couple of different pics of my SDG with the Macon bought stock set.

Beautiful gun--wouldn't it be nice if they came from the factory like that ? :eek:

Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks Steve. I like the look of stainless and walnut and I wanted a slender forend. I used a bead blasted Ruger ss grip cap and replaced the ruger medaliion with a brass blank with JM engraved on it. I installed a Pachmayr .6" Old English recoil pad. This is a good shooter. It likes hand loads using Hornady FXT 160 grain bullets.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
The sky is the limit on fancy stocks. There are private stock makers that can use any wood you want such as English, Turkish, or American Walnut, Cocobolo, Myrtle, and even saw a gorgeous BIRDS EYE MAPLE stock. Cost can also be up in the sky. I saw one set for a Marlin where the wood alone was $3,000.00.

Canyon Creek, Treebone Carving, Great American Gunstock Company, and many other have great stocks unfinished or finished. Some of them will efven custom fit right ot your own guns.

http://macongunstocks.net/marlin_lever_action_rifle_stocks_53.html

GB45
MaconGunstocks--oh Crap--there goes some more money--If I don't slow up here pretty soon--my significant other will be just that-------other !!!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
rj308 said:

That is one spectacular rifle butt and forend. Truly superb. I love the look of her.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
rj308 said:

Now you done did it!!!! Do you remember what GRADE you ordered from them? If that was stock grade I can't imagine what FIRST GRADE would look like. . . . .
Do you remember the cost of the stocks?

GB45

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok ;D
now for my next question did you have to do a lot of fitting and was that a precut stock or did you have ti send in your old stock
that is precicely the grain look i am wanting ,except for the gun ,mine is blued.
what do you guys think of myrtle. it loook a little too blond for my taste ,but i could stain it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts