Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this gun for 180.00 off gunbroker a while ago.Its a 1983 336. Swany said Numrich had some new fancy stocks for a 1897cl for sale. He also said they would fit on any 336. Well I decided to buy one for this gun. It slipped right on just like he said. The only thing wrong is the stock is lighter than the forearm, not much though. I have stripped and refinished one gun before. This winter I plan on stripping the marshield and trying to refinish with a tint of red, and trueoil. This will be a new challange as it has checkering. This is why I really like this forum. Great ideas, great information, great instruction and a great bunch of people in general!

This is the gun when I bought it. Someone stripped and sanded the stock too much. Too much wood sanded off at the tang.

This is the same gun with the new stock on it. It also has a different forearm I think a 1895 something? It also came from Numrich. The stock is the one without the bullseye. Does it really need one?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Very nice! I bought several of those stocks myself, I love the grain of that wood. We're lucky Marlin made their guns so interchangeable! That gun went from Plain Jane to Pam Anderson, BAM!

By the way, I wouldn't touch that wood. I don't think you could improve it. It looks great as is, leave well enough alone. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Your new stocks look great!! Looks like a new rifle 8) Very nice grain and they match each other pretty good!

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Very beautiful wood you got. i agree with doc, i wouldn't try to refinish the wood.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Looks real nice...save that old set, gooood trad'n material! ;)

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think it looks nice, might just be the pictures but I can't really tell a difference in the wood.

I'm halfway thinkin about gettin a 336 and puttin some maple on it.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That's great looking wood. I'd leave it alone and see if it grows on you.
BTW good quality pictures too.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
They were 78 for both pieces. They had already sold out of butt stocks when I checked. I got sidetracked and snoozed. I do not see enough difference in the color to worry about it. NICE! jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts