Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisrt off, hello and thanks for taking the time to read this. I have a Glenfield model 30A with the engraved birchwood stock and fore end. I refinshed the wood and am packing them away to keep safe sence this was my great uncles rifle and it will be getting alot of use. I have decided to go with the ole plasti or polymer kit however the fore arm is made for barrel band and the 30A is a end cap. The original forend is shorter and has the dove tailwith screw mount. Id like to modify the new forend to work. Any suggestions? Shoud i remove screw mount and file tunnel for screw to pass threw for a barrel band or is there a better rout i am just not seeing. Im sure there are other products out there however i would like to use what i have so any sugestions would be apreciated thank you and if anyone has done this before please post pics at your convienence.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome from PA, help is on the way.........

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
We've got another 12B around here somewhere, goes by the username Ret_Eng.

I'd leave the rifle stock, OEM, were it me - but I'm a bit of a purest in that regard. Wish I could help you with your question better, but I'll bump this so hopefully someone will come along with the answer you are looking for.

Welcome to the MO from SC. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! If the endcap forearm is shorter (and I'm not sure about that), you should be able to make the new forearm work, but patience is really the key. Check in the gunsmithing section to see if there are any ideas. Wish I could help more. John

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Are you just trying to protect the fine wood that came with it? And is the plastic/polymer kit you had or are gonna order? Just a suggestion if you didnt order anything just yet is do a Boyds stock. He has some decent prices.

Especially if you want to save the old stocks from damage and wear.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Another option and I dont know the cost if find a fiberglass repair person and take both old and new stock and ask if he can make the end of the forearm of the synthetic stock look like the old one. And if he can and does and he does dang good work, you might mention there to them there might be some money to be made doing it all the time:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
And there is one thing you might think about. Barrel harmonics and would they change if you put a barrel band on a rifle if it didnt have one in the first place.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Lipstick on a pig, dont mess with the plastic, if you want lighter wood go with laminate, looks cool too

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
If the plastic can not be installed w/o modifications to the rifle do not do it. I would keep the rifle as stock and not alter it to install plastic on it. I love the end cap rifles and would not even entertain installing a barrel band on any of them. In my mind going from an end cap configuration to a barrel band is a step in the wrong direction. That's just me. I know many guys love them but I find the end cap superior in design.
Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Welcome, my 02c leave it as it was.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Welcome to MO forums! I'd leave it like it was originally, but if you want to change them out one thing you could consider that may alleviate the issue is what I did. Replace the magazine with a full length tube.
Top rifle is a "before pic"

This is the rifle now with full length mag tube and new barrel band.

You'll notice that the "wood" is now the gray laminate, and it is now a pistol grip with a Big Loop Lever. The barrel band is from Grizzly Customs and has a mini rail to mount lights or whatever you want to it (I mount a laser light for hog hunting).
This all depends what you want to spend. Adding the full length magazine isn't difficult but you need the right tools and patience. I had a gunsmith do the work of the barrel band and installation of the full length tube.
Good luck with the project!!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.