Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Hopefully someone from Marlin keeps an eye on this forum, and tries to stay competitive with Winchester. Word has it that we'll see a new Winchester Trails End 25-35 in 2005 ... could a Marlin Cowboy classic be far behind?

I'd love to buy a new 336 based 25-35, instead of turning and cutting those d..n square threads and multiple dovetails in the new 25 cal. brrl blank I bought to build a 336 in 25-35 Tomcat! Gotta believe it's saleable, I think. Any rumors to share, or corporate lurkers reading this?

Joe (hobbyguymaine/old windbag)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 25-35, but there just aren't too many people that like it. I believe that is why Marlin didn't make the 25-36 very long. In reality, I'd be very surprised to see Win actually produce it.

I recently resolved to thin my assortment of rifles I never shoot in order to improve my Austrian collection. When I offered 2 1899 Savages to a member of another forum, he expressed no interest whatsoever in my nice TD 25-35 & is in the process of buying my SRC in 303. Blew me away. I mean, you can still buy 25-35 ammo OTC & 303 is getting difficult to find.

Anyway, I DO like the 25-35, but if I lived in your part of the country, I'd be a little leery of trying to whack Mr. Moose with one. SW

·
Registered
736 Posts
This may be a little off topic, but this weekend I saw a Remington model 8 semi-auto in caliber 25-35. I thought it interesting and unusual.

Live well

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
BIG REDHEAD
I think that mod.8 should be 25 rem. which was their version of the 25-35. Unless someone rechambered it. It seems marlin wants us to all have ported guide rifles

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got tired of waiting for Marlin and had this rifle built this year, rebarrel by Nonneman and the stock work by myself.Maybe Winchester offering the 25-35 again will get us a few more bullet choices,Marlin's chambering the 25-20 and 218 got a few new bullets on the market, we can only hope. Until then I've been using Rem. 86gr FP's and Hornady 117gr RN and they're shooting great.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Some Remington Model 8s were marked "25-35 Rem". They are still chambered for the .25 Remington rimless round. You can generally load these a bit up from the .25-35 but not by all that much.

The .25-35 is a fun cartridge which can cover .25-20 velocities for small game to 117 gr. at 2300 fps for deer. You just have to remember that placement is everything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If Winchester chambers for the .25-35 WCF and Marlin follows suit with a 336 CB in the same chambering, the first thing I would do with the Marlin after taking delivery is run in a .25-36 Marlin reamer to clean up the chamber and then restamp the cartridge marking on the barrel. Marlin should, in fact, chamber and mark the guns for .25-36 Marlin and then stipulate in the owner's manual that .25-35 WCF ammunition can safely be fired in the guns. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you, I'm enjoying this rifle a lot,it will shoot much better than I can and the recoil isn't much more than my 25-20, great caliber, I'm glad someone is finally going to make some leverguns in it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts