Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brownell now lists a Williams Foolproof Sight, with target knobs, for newer 336 models that are not drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver. This sight utilizes the holes on top of the receiver. The regular price is $81.50 and the 'magic' price is $56.95.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thirsty,
In the Brownell catalog, just ahead of the price, is a series of letters and numbers. The new Foolproof has 2F56A95. For FFL holders, these numbers signify $56.95. I also contacted their tech rep. He told me that a front sight .125" higher MAY be required with the new FP sight.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I was just going to say...............

"that a front sight .125" higher MAY be required with the new FP sight."

I found this to be true when installing the WGRS reciever sight on my 336C in .35Rem. (circa '70's)

I suspect that all 336C's will require a higher front sight. But, that being the case, it's a good excuse to buy a taller "FireSight" while you're at it.

Thats what I did.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Excuse my confusion Roundsworth (great name), but "newer 336 models that are not drilled and tapped..."? Just which of the newer 336 models are not drilled and tapped??

Thanks,

SS

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sidespin,
My new 336Y and 410 are not drilled and tapped for the receiver sight. They are, however, drilled and tapped for a scope base on the top of the receiver. These are the holes used with the NEW Foolproof sight. "Roundsworth" is a nickname from my Battleship days.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just downloaded the entire Williams catalog. There is a clear picture of the new 336 Foolproof sight. The way it sits behind the top bracket should place the aperture in the same area as the original FP sight on an earlier side-tapped Marlin. The catalog mentioned nothing about a new front sight. I just installed a stock height Firesight on my 336 and had to make a 'sunroof' in the hood.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
I sure am glad I got one with the side holes in it. If you have a side mount you can cut the back part of the scope mount (leaves one screw in the back) off and have room to mount the peep also. Which makes is ideal for back up sights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts