Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local gun show this morning to sell an extra model '97 Marlin. Ran across another single shot rifle, and worked out a straight across trade with the dealer!
I am now the proud owner of a Martini action rook rifle. A very small framed type Martini, unlike any I've seen before. It's chambered for the British 297-230, which is a stubby little case using a Hornet sized rim, and .22 bullet, in a bottleneck case of about 3/4" length. Have to make up some sizing dies for it, and cut down some Hornet cases on the lathe, then form the bottleneck on the lathe also. After that I can fire form them, and just neck size with an old Hornet sizing die, cut down to the correct length.
The little rook rifle is a beauty. 26" full round barrel, with 24 LPI checkering, and some nice english walnut stocks. Bluing is nearly 90+%, and the bore is like new! Not much to do to the gun, but clean and oil it, so my effort will all go towards the ammo making process. Hopefully get something made up this week, and head to the range next weekend!

G

·
I'm sure you already know this but ,Ross Seyfried wrote some articles in handloader and Rifle mags about the Martinies. :) May be of some help, and if I'm not mistaken he's out in your part the world I think :D

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told by a fellow ASSRA member that the Journal wrote an article on this cartridge, and Martinis in this caliber. He's sending me a copy of the article, so hopefully it will assist me.
Lathe time cutting down cases , and shaping them can be boring, but the results are fun!

G

·
I've only been in the ASSRA for a year and a half and I do not remember seeing such an article,seems to me there might have been somthing in the CBA magazine but am not sure. Only been in that for a year and a half also, tomorrow if I have time I will dig out my CBA mags and have a look. I remember reading an article about someone rebarreling to 357 on one of them and having good results :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Make some ammo, and the rooks better head south for the winter!! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that one went right over my head Hogger!????
My little wifey bought me a new digital camera for my birthday today, so I'll take some pics, once I figure out how to use the darn thing!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
MM93,

Nuttin' derogatory! I'm assuming if you have a rook rifle, it would be fun to use it for its original intended purpose - rooks! Also known as crows! It's always fun to thin the crows out! :D I saw a Martini at a small show today - a 310 cadet. Looked like fun, but I was a bit short of the necessary $400.

No Marlins to speak of - bought a bunch of Steyr & Roumanian clips @ a buck a whack. Did a little haggling on a Portugese Vergueiro I will probably end up getting before too long. Passed on a Peter The Great Moisin even though 80 was not a bad price at all. - Just wasn't anything for Marlins. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've often wondered the meaning of the wprd "rook" as used on these small rifles. I didn't know if the rook in a chess set was something to do with it, or as you mentioned, they were used to shoot crows.
No need to head south to shoot crows. We have a permanent population right here. Doesn't everyone have crows?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
rooks

Apparently, a rook is a species of crow - a large raven, if you will, and considered quite a pest in Europe. The small cartridge you describe is for the quiet elimination of said vermin. I'm interested to see how fine the sights are, as crows are no slouch, and it's pretty tough to put the sneak on them. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sights aren't that fine. They are able to elevate quite a bit. The rear sight looks similar to a carbine style ladder sight, but wider. The front is a pretty common looking blade. No bead or insert to zero in on at all.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've got an article on English Rook rifles in my books somewhere- this article was written when Seyfried was still nothing but a twinkle in his Daddy's eye- I'll post back when I find it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
rooks

While waiting for the evil RR to call me to work, I looked in Cartridges of the World & saw some other rook rifle calibers. Apparently, knocking rooks out of the family apple tree was quite the popular passtime in England. The largest one I saw was the 360 Rook - about like a 38 Long Colt. Yeah, if I had one of those, I'd just HAVE to try it out on a crow! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I have one of the .360 rook rifles, which is built on the Belgian Comblain small action. Looks and feels much like this Martini, and about the same weight. I've fired it with .38 Colt ammo, and it works well with the ammo.
Here's a picture of the two of them together! The Comblain is the top gun, and the Martini is the bottom. Thanks for letting me know Hunt101 was finally up again Hogger!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No reason why they wouldn't make great squirrel rifles!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, except for model 1893's, 12 of everything! :wink:

G

·
Well I know a poor underprivleged ,relocated,Virginia boy that could use a few of those at a greatly reduced price(especially 32-40 and 25-36) :D

G

·
Hey , that little Martini would be a great place to try loading some paper patch bullets :D :!: Never tried that before :!:

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The .22 cal is not a good choice for a paper patch bullet. Not an easy bullet to roll a paper patch on, and finding a small enough diameter bullet to start with would be even harder. It's tough enough to roll a patch on any bullet, let alone a tiny one!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts