Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the head gunsmith of large warranty repair gun shop in the mid '70. I have build many rifles and fixed perhaps countless thousands. Left the business when I discovered I could make a better living at something else. I bring much baggage in experience to the table, but much of the experience is dated. I was a firm Remington fan for years and would not own a Savage....( even though I fixed many of both. )

A few years ago my son-in-law and I were at the range, and I saw what his off the rack Savage would do to a target. Needless to say, I reconsidered my thoughts about performance and am building a Savage .20 Practical now. ( We hunt prairie dogs several times a year.)

But I have also heard about the Marlin XR7. I seems to incorporate some of the Savage designs and perhaps improve on one or two. The question is this. From the performance angle, why would someone want an XR7 as opposed to the Savage? I lean heavily toward to performance side not preference side of the question. Further, aftermarket parts seem to be a problem. And why are there so few at the consumer level. I have never seen or handled one.

Any thoughts?

ret

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Welcome to Marlinowners!!

There are shooters that frequent this forum that have outstanding target shooting results with out of the box Marlin XS7 and XL7 rifles. I also understand that Savage makes incredible shooting rifles. I am sure someone with your past, working with rifles could turn either into the rifle you're wanting. Theres a difference in price but not the end result. I hope you'll choose a Marlin so we can stay updated with your new rifle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think that out of the gate, the price point Savage to compete with the Marlin, was the Stevens. I believe the Marlin had the better trigger and the forearm of the stock was stiffer, and sales reflected this.
Both could shoot well, and I agree with you on the aftermarket parts; the Stevens makes a great platform for a build.
But the Marlin has more and more options as time goes by, like stocks and pre-fit barrels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first gun was a Marlin .22 bolt and it was, and still is, a great gun. After missing too many of my shots this last deer season, I realized I needed a backup to my Ruger Hawkeye M77 .270, which had the scope go south on me. I wanted an affordable gun, Marlin was my first look due to my past experience with their .22. After I seen they had a bolt action center-fire available I continued to research trying to find all the flaws in a $300 gun. There were a couple of minor issues that I found people had, such as the extractor, two position non-locking bolt when safety is "on" and the stock bedding, but the biggest problem I seen out of a $300 gun is that it groups; a $300 gun should not do that. Some things that sold me on the Marlin XL7 30-06 were the trigger, weight, looks, smooth bolt, simplicity and price; I paid $275 for mine. If I could change some things on it, I would like to see a floorplate, metal trigger guard and a three position safety, or open sights. Free-floating is also intriguing, but Marlin left that up to our own discretion. Mine is unmodified and it'll have to prove it has a problem before I make any modifications. What concerns me most is that next season I'll have to choose which one to take out hunting first; one's like a wife and the other's like a hot mistress. :eek: Now I've developed Marlinitis for a MR-7 and a lever action.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I was deciding between the Savage and the XL7 about 3 months ago. The price, accuracy and the trigger won me over and I got a XL7 25-06. I hand-load and have a load already that will stay inside a dime at 100 yds. Incredible firearm. You will find many helpful friends here too! :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
taylorwkrs said:
I was the head gunsmith of large warranty repair gun shop in the mid '70. I have build many rifles and fixed perhaps countless thousands. Left the business when I discovered I could make a better living at something else. I bring much baggage in experience to the table, but much of the experience is dated. I was a firm Remington fan for years and would not own a Savage....( even though I fixed many of both. )

A few years ago my son-in-law and I were at the range, and I saw what his off the rack Savage would do to a target. Needless to say, I reconsidered my thoughts about performance and am building a Savage .20 Practical now. ( We hunt prairie dogs several times a year.)

But I have also heard about the Marlin XR7. I seems to incorporate some of the Savage designs and perhaps improve on one or two. The question is this. From the performance angle, why would someone want an XR7 as opposed to the Savage? I lean heavily toward to performance side not preference side of the question. Further, aftermarket parts seem to be a problem. And why are there so few at the consumer level. I have never seen or handled one.

Any thoughts?

ret
You talking about the XL/XS series or the original MR7? You don't see the X series because Remington wants you to buy their junky 770's instead. Marlin bolt actions aren't being sold to large chains anymore.

·
Super Moderator
14,063 Posts
taylorwkrs said:
XL/XS series is what I am referring to....my mistake.

Where are the XS series being sold??

ret
Smaller gun shops. If I recall Marlin/Remington pulled them out of the larger chain stores for some reason. Shouldn't be too hard to find an XL or XS though. I love my XL7 in 30-06. It is my go to hunting gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been reading about the "missing threads" on the Marlins. Anyone have PICS??? I have built many rifles, straightened many barrels, threaded many barrels. I'd like to see for myself prior to drawing a conclusion based on personal experience.

ret

·
Banned
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........I would have been easier to thread the entire shank than leave the unthreaded portion. It appears to be a stop to disallow further tightening. Perhaps a new manufacturing step that saves $$. Its not a barrel weakness or safety issue either. Remington always thinks about liability and does not purposefully take risk.

I do not think it impacts performance and it would not bother me if I owned one. My opinion...and I've threaded many rifle shanks. My .002 worth.

Also, the pic showing recoil lug on backwards, .............since it is not in focus, I cannot tell, perhaps it is, but from that pic, perhaps it is not. A Savage recoil lug cannot be put on backwards or the assembly will not fit together. I cannot comment on this situation from the pic.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,83362.0.html

ret

·
Registered
638 Posts
taylorwkrs said:
Also, the pic showing recoil lug on backwards, .............since it is not in focus, I cannot tell, perhaps it is, but from that pic, perhaps it is not. A Savage recoil lug cannot be put on backwards or the assembly will not fit together. I cannot comment on this situation from the pic.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,83362.0.html

ret
The Savage has a locating recess but the Marlin does not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
186 Tmanbuckhunter said:
A member on the forums contacted Remington and supposedly it was to identify what the barrels were chambered for.
Seem like this is more trouble than its worth to ID a barrel, but is could be true. All I know is that it is does not compromise safety.
I non-issue.

ret

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.