Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new guy here. I am only 20 and don't know squat about guns really. I only have a rem 243 bolt action. The marlin 45/70 guide gun in stainless really has me hooked on it. I really would like one! I know to look for the JM stamped on the barrel, but also I don't know much else to look for other then normal gashes or dings or scratches. I want to use this gun as a fun gun that people ask about but also to hunt hogs down here in FL. Any help would be great!! Oh and also what is a good load to start off with? I was leaning towards Rem 405 grain..

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
Welcome RW, the Guide gun has hooked a lot of folks. The 405gr. remington is a good starting load, not abusive to shoot and should handle hogs just fine. The 1895 45-70's are a pretty awesome package no matter what configuration you prefer personally, I hope you find one soon.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Welcome from Alaska to all things Marlin, and especially the 45-70 lever Marlin. Only rifle that has been a life saver for me. Have used the green box 405 grain on moose and so have several friends and relatives. No complaints from the hunter side. Generally stopped by the hide on the far side.
Practical add for my Marlin has been a small rail on the front of the magazine tube for a good light. (Wild West guns) Very handy around camp and some kind of cheek pad/ammo holder. Many adds including different peep sights or a low power scope are done as well along with fiber optic, gold bead, black, or white bead front sights. And some keep them stock and it suits them fine. Enjoy the journey, practice with it on hogs then bring up to Alaska ;

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners. Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Good choice, best of luck on your search.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ranger Walker, Hello there and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America." " Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Registered
241 Posts
Welcome from Sebring, FL. Don't be so quick to dismiss the Remington built Marlin. I have one I bought from Bud's back in April and it was fine. I think their quality is improving, that being said always give it a good inspection before buying.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hi RangerWalker, welcome to the MO Forum! The Rem 405s are my favorite so far, as the recoil is user friendly for a 60yo shoulder. I have tried the Hornady 325 FTX, and the HSM 430 +P Bear loads...ouch on the 430s. I have started putting together reloading equipment so when I retire in a couple years I have something else to do with all that free time. So far, all roads lead to reloading for that and a few other calibers I have aquired. You have a young 20yo shoulder that will take anything, so, try what you can find available and decide the best round for you. If you don't reload now, the guys here will have you convinced in short time to do so. Enjoy the Forum, it's a great place to learn!

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
20,520 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Welcome to MO from IL! You can't go wrong with an inspected JM rifle, but I too have a Remlin that works just fine--just be very careful with the inspection of a Remlin before you buy one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have recently picked up a JM 1895GS and fired it for the first time last week. Fantastic experience and can't wait to do it all over again.
You won't regret getting a 45-70.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Welcome ,from Pinellas county Fl. The 45-70 is a good choice. Just remember 45-70 and loading your own ammo go together like Marlin and lever action rifles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts