Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
First of hello and I am loving this forum! I got infected by lever action Marlins a few years ago by My step Dad. I bought my first Marlin about six months ago and it was a really nice 336cs 30-30. I traded it off this week for a mini 14. I was so depressed I went and replaced it with 3 more so I won't ever bee with out a trusty Marlin again. First i picked up a 1966 39a mountie that was the same night I let my other Marlin go It has the wrong butt stock but I will change that soon. Then today I rescued a 1998 model 30aw and a 1957 336rc from a pawn shop. I think I did well... I do lots of trading so I mange to get the Model 39a for &350 and I worked a deal on the 336rc and 30aw for $420.... The 336rc is rough on the outside but so pretty on the inside.
IMG_7303.JPG

·
Registered
68 Posts
thats a pretty good looking group of rifles there:congrats:let us know how they shoot.

Reactions: k5leveraction

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Now that is a beautiful family portrait!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,121 Posts
k5leveraction :tee: welcome to the forum, Ya just got to love a levergun.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Ya had me worried when ya said ya traded the Marlin for a mini 14, but you redeemed yourself with the new family members. Welcome to MO's. DP

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anyone with the class and good sense to grab up a handful of vintage levers is my kinda people :congrats:

Just like a bunch of new puppies. Time to go pretty 'em up, find out what they like to eat, dial em in, and give 'em memorable nicknames once they show their personalities...

There's nothing like new-to-me gun day. It's like Christmas in August, only you don't have to wait 'till the snow melts to go pull triggers.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Welcome to the fray. Marlins are an addiction all to themselves! Nothing else like it. And this forum only adds to the "problem".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank for such a warm welcome.... I traded my first on off for the mini 14 because I knew I could sell the mini 14 to by more Marlins and it has worked out well... But I still want my first on back lol. I think as fun as these guns are to shoot i might have to get a bigger safe cause i see them multiplying fast.

I do have a question... My 336rc was stored in a case that had gotten moisture in it. Any Ideas on how I can save it? The stock need to be refinished but the inside is and the internal parts have no rust. Its like it was out in the rain and got put away damp.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome, and Congrats on the recent additions to the family.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Welcome from SC, You have been bitten by the Marlinitist Bug pretty bad... it may take a few more trades and owning about as many Marlin rifles as your budget will allow. Happy hunting, and join in when you can.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thank for such a warm welcome.... I traded my first on off for the mini 14 because I knew I could sell the mini 14 to by more Marlins and it has worked out well... But I still want my first on back lol. I think as fun as these guns are to shoot i might have to get a bigger safe cause i see them multiplying fast.

I do have a question... My 336rc was stored in a case that had gotten moisture in it. Any Ideas on how I can save it? The stock need to be refinished but the inside is and the internal parts have no rust. Its like it was out in the rain and got put away damp.
Are the stocks the nice original walnut? You can sand down and refinish the stocks beautifully with a few really light coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil or similar. Just make sure the stocks are dried out thoroughly, and are free of oils. Use 400 grit to strip the stocks, being careful not to mess up sharp edges and fitment points, then 800 grit to fine-sand before refinishing. Clean fine dust off really well with a clean dry cotton rag. Apply Tru-oil very very lightly and quickly with a cotton patch. Let dry thoroughly for a day or two. Use 0000 steel wool very lightly between each coat of Tru-oil, after each coat hardens for a day or two. Try 3 or 4 coats like this, for starters, then let it settle and cure really well for a few more days, and see how it comes out. If you like it, wax the fresh finish to seal and protect it, and you're good to go. Looks kinda like this when you're done. These stocks had been trashed by moisture, and by WD-40 attacking the original finish, sitting in a case for years, and I used the above method to refinish them. They were a dull, sticky, gunky, gross grey-brown mess, when I started. I was blown away by the beautiful walnut under the grime and dull mess. It's like a different gun and has become one of my favorite 444's:

Need more info and pics on the condition of the metal and bluing. Is it just surface rust and a few areas of light pitting? If so, you might be able to get away with using 0000 steel wool, wd-40 and some gun oil, to strip off the rust gently on affected areas, without trashing the remaining bluing, and use some cold blue products like Vans to touch the bluing up afterward, if it's down to the bare metal in spots. Depends how badly it's rusted up. Of course you could have it totally reblued, but it can be pricey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can sand down and refinish the stocks beautifully with a few really light coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil or similar. Just make sure they're really nicely dried out thoroughly, and are free of oils.

Need more info and pics on the condition of the metal and bluing. Is it just surface rust and a few areas of light pitting? If so, you might be able to get away with using 0000 steel wool, wd-40 and some gun oil, to strip off the rust gently on affected areas, without trashing the remaining bluing, and use some cold blue products like Vans to touch the bluing up afterward, if it's down to the bare metal in spots. Depends how badly it's rusted up. Of course you could have it totally reblued, but it can be pricey.
I will take some pics and post them this afternoon. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts