Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I'm seeking a pre- remington Marlin CB. I've always wanted one and it just came to me that I'm not getting any younger. Now I find out that these beauties are not made any more.

From what I understand I'm looking for:

JM stamped gun
Ballard twist ( I assume all CB are?)
My questions are: Are in fact all CW Marlins in 45 70 ballard riffled? I'm planning on shooting cash bullets so it's an issue to me.
Would it be possible to locate a New Haven CB or are all of them North Haven? Would there be any need to hold out for a New Haven if for nothing more than collector value if in fact they exist.
I'm also looking for a front sight that is dove tail mounted in order to mount a globe front sight. Are the New Haven and North Haven guns (JM) of the type that the front sight can be removed and a globe can be installed?
And finally, I see these guns going for $1200 - $1400 - is this about the norm these days?

Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
17,245 Posts
Welcome From Alabama... The Info I have Shows The 1895 Cowboy Being Made From 2001 Through 2010.
45-70 Only. No 450's.

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The selling prices you will find depend on where you live. You did not put an address in your Profile. At least a city and state would be helpful.

As far as a New Haven or a North Haven CB, if you read the history of Marlin, John Marlin did not make rifles in New Haven, he made pistols. He died in 1901. His sons took over his business but they were bought out in 1915.

As far as I know, the rifles were always made in North Haven and by then there were no Marlin family members in ownership of Marlin Firearms.

Welcome to the Forum!

Mike T.

Reactions: COYOTE222

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
The selling prices you will find depend on where you live. You did not put an address in your Profile. At least a city and state would be helpful.

As far as a New Haven or a North Haven CB, if you read the history of Marlin, John Marlin did not make rifles in New Haven, he made pistols. He died in 1901. His sons took over his business but they were bought out in 1915.

As far as I know, the rifles were always made in North Haven and by then there were no Marlin family members in ownership of Marlin Firearms.

Welcome to the Forum!

Mike T.
. Rifles were made in the Marlin factory on Willow st in New Haven ct Until 1968 when they moved to North Haven.I grew up in New haven and had friends and family that worked at both Marlins.I have rifles that my uncle took home straight from the factory when he worked there in 1946.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Welcome to the Forum!

Mike T.
Great info guys, thanks for schooling me. I'm not all together new to marins, got an old 32 40 from dad and a few .22 over the years. I'm near New Orleans and if anyone has a cb they want to sell first hand I'd be interested. At the moment I'm looking local and online as well for a nice cb model.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
. Rifles were made in the Marlin factory on Willow st in New Haven ct Until 1968 when they moved to North Haven.I grew up in New haven and had friends and family that worked at both Marlins.I have rifles that my uncle took home straight from the factory when he worked there in 1946.
That's interesting. Wikipedia specifically mentioned pistols being made by John Marlin in New Haven. Wikipedia also mentions his sons that sold the business in 1915 and then in 1923 it was Bankrupt and was bought by the Kenna Family. The Marlin website did not specify where their original factory was located.

Mike T.

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
That's interesting. Wikipedia specifically mentioned pistols being made by John Marlin in New Haven. Wikipedia also mentions his sons that sold the business in 1915 and then in 1923 it was Bankrupt and was bought by the Kenna Family. The Marlin website did not specify where their original factory was located.

Mike T.
. It does not specify much about the New Haven plant when you read the history of Marlin.I just happen to know because I am from there.The New haven factory still stands in its original form. image.jpg

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I thought that Winchester was in New Haven and Marlin was in North Haven. Learn something every day.

Thanks for the cool PIC!

Edit: Remington said in March 2010 that it would close the North Haven Marlin plant, which had 265 employees at that point. The company has been at its 225,000-square-foot facility on a 23-acre site in North Haven since 1968. Before that, it was on Willow Street in New Haven.

Bingo! Give that man a CIGAR! Right on dude!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
15,447 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

Reactions: captdan

·
Registered
292 Posts
Anybody can post any info on Wikipedia. I've found several gross errors there, and don't ever use it when I need fact.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So far as I know all the front sights on CBs can be removed and replaced with a globe sight. I have globes on both my CBs and both are fitted with MVA bases. Oh and welcome to MO.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
jeepman525, you need 25 posts before you can sell on MO. Once you have that you can post your Marlin for sale in the classifieds with a set price.

Read the rules found here:The Trading Post Announcements.

Jack

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was not trying to sell it. I was just saying that I was thinking about it. I have 3 and I love them all. The problem is my wife does not.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

1 - 18 of 18 Posts