Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for published loading data for reloader7 for 407 cast 45-70. The only book I have is the latest spear book. thanks Scott

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
From one Slicker to another....you can start at 30 grains and go up to about 45 grains. (In a Marlin Lever Action) You didn't say whether you were using gas checks or not, but with plain base bullets stay on the lower end.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I didn't want to steal your thunder...thought it was only right to change.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No gas checks. No disrespect, again I'm new to reloading but, is it ok to just us someone's advice or should I still find where its published? just asking.

·
Super Moderator
13,438 Posts
CITYSLICKER1 said:
No gas checks. No disrespect, again I'm new to reloading but, is it ok to just us someone's advice or should I still find where its published? just asking.
Use 405gr. Remington SP data. It's not that hot.

From Lyman 49th, page 311 (1886 and marlin 1895 data) Rem 405gr. SP

RX7

OAL: 2.550

TRAP DOOR DATA page 309

405gr. cast bullet no gas check

RX7

OAL: 2.550

I recommend using an OAL that will work in your gun.

In the lyman 49th they list all aliant reloader powders with an RL in the name as RX.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Thanks, I will be looking for that book. I'm also looking for the book "forty years with the 45-70" by matthews. thanks again,Scott

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
No disrespect, again I'm new to reloading but, is it ok to just us someone's advice or should I still find where its published? just asking.
You are perfectly in bounds with that comment. My bad for not quoting a source. Since you are not using gas checks you might want to start in the middle, 35 to 37 and see how the groups are and if your barrel leads.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CITYSLICKER1 said:
Wow Thanks, I will be looking for that book. I'm also looking for the book "forty years with the 45-70" by matthews. thanks again,Scott
I read this book over the Christmas holiday. Cover to cover. Twice. Great book, I highly recommend it. I learned things about reloading I never heard anywhere else before, and I've been at it several decades. I bought my copy from Amazon.com if that helps. They have it in stock right now.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SkookumJeff , sounds like I'm on the right track. I'll get that book and the lymand and read them both.I already read the Spear reloading manuel twice. Also with the help from this forum and reloading friends I'll be shooting in no time. thanks Scott

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
My standard 405 load is 40gr of R-7, No gas checks.
a regular ole flat base boolit mold.

No leading, 1700fps average, nasty damage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts