Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into reloading my weatherby 7 mag, rem 25-06, 270 and other cal. Can anyone tell me if there is an all in one kit that I can purchase? I am not sure on brands and will basically do this for a hobby and to save a little money. I have a bass pro near by and I don't care for buying junk. (I am sure they have many brands for me to mess up on and buy the wrong one). I know nothing of the subject and any info will help.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Any of the major manufacturer's cast iron presses will still be loading ammo for your great grandchildren. I currently use a Pacific Super C press that my Grampa loaded on before he gave it to my Dad.

If you want to buy new, it is hard to argue against the Rockchucker kits offered by Midway and others:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/646599

The kit will give you everything you need except calipers and a case trimmer. Calipers run the gamut from professional grade tools by Starrett, Mitutoyo or Brown & Sharpe to plastic Chinese junk. Truthfully, any middle of the line stainless steel dial caliper will serve a reloader just fine. For a case trimmer, the Lee stud and cutter versions are cheap and efficient, but have no adjustment. The Gracey trimmers are the best, but dang, for the price they ought to be! I go with the Lee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shoot'n Hogs,
You can't go wrong with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. A word of caution: you may not save much money...if you reload a box for 1/4 the cost of factory rounds you may just find yourself shooting four times as much :lol:
The important thing is to get a good reloading manual, read it and understand it before starting any actual reloading. Reloading is not difficult and can be quite enjoyable.
Good luck with your new undertaking.
Best,
TnNuc

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good advice given above. One thing go get the Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook. it is one of the easiest and best sources to own. I have the 47th and am constantly using this resource. It will also give you a secondary source from the Sierra Manual that comes in the RCBS kit. Get this kit and a Pact Digital scale (the one that is battery and DC operated). This will be a great start and it never hurts to start with quality equipment.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey Hogs,
I gotta' put a vote in here, go the Lee Anniversary kit, under a $100 from Midway, and it INCLUDES one of the most complete reloading manuals going. Down the track you'll find the best thing since sliced bread is the Lee 4 hole turret press,,,,, buy a head for each caliber you're reloading and never fiddle with die adjustments again. My Lee gear loads ammunition every bit as good as the more expensive stuff, you do not need a 50# cast iron press IMHO, unless you get into bullet swaging.
Electronic digital scales can be affected by fluoro lights, aberrant fluctuations in current, yada, yada, yada. Give me simple stuff that works, and I spend my money on powder, boolit moulds, and lead projectile launching platforms. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just my opinion:
There are a lot of good quality equipment available and of course expensive to relatively inexpensive.

I suggest that you read all the above comments, get some good books like Lyman on reloading, and start out.

Be aware that companies like Sierra, Hornaday, Hodgdon, and many others welcome inquiries. They are helpful.

This group has proven to be prudent and safety aware.

So ask away on this site and then then use good judgment.

Welcome to the real fun of shooting. You can say it is cheaper per shot to reload, and usually it is---but you just get to shoot more---that's the payout.

Bojon

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Rrusse11 said:
Hey Hogs,
I gotta' put a vote in here, go the Lee Anniversary kit, under a $100 from Midway, and it INCLUDES one of the most complete reloading manuals going. Down the track you'll find the best thing since sliced bread is the Lee 4 hole turret press,,,,, buy a head for each caliber you're reloading and never fiddle with die adjustments again. My Lee gear loads ammunition every bit as good as the more expensive stuff, you do not need a 50# cast iron press IMHO, unless you get into bullet swaging.
Electronic digital scales can be affected by fluoro lights, aberrant fluctuations in current, yada, yada, yada. Give me simple stuff that works, and I spend my money on powder, boolit moulds, and lead projectile launching platforms. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.
Cheers,
R*2
I'm new to reloading and had some of the same questions. I opted for the Lee 4hole turret kit. Talk about practical and easy to use. I'm loading for the 45-70 so I had to disconnect the "auto index" rod due to the length of the cartridge. The Lee Pacesetter dies and the factory crimp die are primo! With a little turn of the knob you can adjust your seating depth by the .00010's...simple. When it comes time to trim cases, for less than 5.00 get the lockstud thingy and chuck up the shellholder in a cordless and you are in.....simple. For 19.95 grab the most inexpensive dial caliper (Frankford Arms if I recall) and it'll work great. The Lee safety scale is easy and easy to setup. For less than 150.00 I'm doing just as good as the guy with the 600.00 stuff. And it really does come down to pulling the trigger...and what a thrill that is.

Perferator

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a lot of fun ahead of you.

Reloading can become really involved and exciting.

Bojon

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot for all the opinions posted above. A little bit more researching and I will come to a conclusion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again, I just ordered the RCBS kit from Cabela's for $219. I got one die for my 25-06, trimmer, and a couple of other things for reloading. All in all, I spent 370.00. Looking forward to start. Oh yeah, I got that Lyman 48 edition manual. THANKS

·
Registered
202 Posts
I purched a Lee aniversary kit from Cabelas for $67.00. It seems to have everything I need and a decent o frame press.

·
Registered
330 Posts
jrank 45-70 said:
I purched a Lee aniversary kit from Cabelas for $67.00. It seems to have everything I need and a decent o frame press.
jrank,
Powder, bullets, primers, brass,,,,,,,, and dies. Oh, and more Marlins of course! As mentioned previously in this thread, I've been useing one of the Lee 4-hole turret presses. Leaving a complete caliber all set up and just swapping heads is marvellous. The O-frame gets used for bullet sizing and gas checking cast boolits now. Lee stuff doesn't quite have the feel and finish of the "high price spreads", but I've always found the precision and strength is where you need it. And I can't tell the difference in the loaded ammunition.
The Lee case trimming system is another "cheapie" that simply works great. I have just bought a Forster case trimmer on Ebay for neck turning, lo and behold the Lee gauges slot right in! The other innovation that I swear by is the Lee Factory Crimp die, seating and collet crimping in seperate operations on the turret is a snap, and the consistency of the COL is excellent.
Enjoy! I'm sure you'll be happy with the Lee system.
Cheers,
R*2

"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin"

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Since we're talking Lee......

I've just picked up a 4hole turret press, also. Just as said the press works just dandy. I pulled out the "auto index" thingy and now just spin the turret to the proper die. Easy-schmeezy.

The trimmer system is fool proof and ridiculously easy...I love it. Why use another for the 45-70?

I've also found the powder scale to be accurate and quite sensitive.

You really could pay more and probably have nicer stuff but you cant tell the difference in groups/accuracy.

Perferator

1 - 18 of 18 Posts