Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
If it were me...I'd back that load down to at least 46 grains when using Remington brass.

Hodgdens load data is good...but when you start changing things around (brass) it goes downhill fast...Hodgden used Winchester brass for their data.

I messed around with Hodgdens load data using Remington brass too...with 405 grain bullets and H322...DO NOT USE 55 grains of H322 under a 405 in Remington brass...I'm assuming that 50 grains under a 350 in Rem brass is about the same thing (only worse...4198 is a much faster powder), its too much!

Using Hodgdens data with Remington brass...lower the charge by 4 grains and you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
wayneo73 said:
is the IMR/Hodgden website data good is you're using winchester brass. so far i've created 3, 3 round loads using IMR 3031 and 3, 3 round loads using IMR 4198. i started at the minimum listed on the IMR/Hodgden website and went up 1 grain each time. i stayed below the minimum. and i used the same brass and primer listed in the IMR/Hodgden data.
As long as you are using the same brass...I'd say yes, the data is good...but the max loads are quite warm so be careful and go slow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.