Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used Marlin 75C... in surprisingly good condition, $150 seemed like a good deal to me.

Looking for advice on a cleaning kit?
Any preference for a soft case?
I'll post up some pictures shortly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hey Pete - welcome to MO and welcome from Ohio. Looking forward to pics of your son's Marlin.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners Pete!

Scrub the barrel til she comes up clean, the 75C has a reputation for being a tack driver. 75C is a Carbine version of the Model 60. The 75C was manufactured 1974 up into the mid-90s, if you subtract the first 2 digits of your serial number from 100, it will give you year of manufacture. Since you said "Marlin 75C" I'd assume 1981 or newer, making it "New Model" or "New Style", and it should have a last round hold open bolt, and release under the floor plate next to the trigger guard. You'll need that info should you look for parts, schematics, or watch cleaning videos. If manufactured prior to '81, it should have been a Glenfield 75C. Model 75 was manufactured '68 - '74 if I recall correctly, it's identical as well, that one had a 9 round tubular magazine. Not a lot of difference in any respect, barrel band is about it.

Not a great deal to tearing a model 60 down, for cleaning, numerous videos on You Tube. Mechanism is open, not much reason to strip it completely, unless it is seriously dirty, or you need to replace the buffer.

Although everyone has their favorite ammo, every gun has it's favorite ammo too. Buy up a box of 6 - 8 different brands/rounds and see which one shoots best in it, then sight it in and stick with it. Doesn't pay to sight it in until you find the one that shoots sweetest, you'll be all over the target. When you find the right one, it should shoot a singe ragged hole at 25 yards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to Marlin Owners Pete!

Scrub the barrel til she comes up clean, the 75C has a reputation for being a tack driver. 75C is a Carbine version of the Model 60. The 75C was manufactured 1974 up into the mid-90s, if you subtract the first 2 digits of your serial number from 100, it will give you year of manufacture. Since you said "Marlin 75C" I'd assume 1981 or newer, making it "New Model" or "New Style", and it should have a last round hold open bolt, and release under the floor plate next to the trigger guard. You'll need that info should you look for parts, schematics, or watch cleaning videos. If manufactured prior to '81, it should have been a Glenfield 75C. Model 75 was manufactured '68 - '74 if I recall correctly, it's identical as well, that one had a 9 round tubular magazine. Not a lot of difference in any respect, barrel band is about it.

Not a great deal to tearing a model 60 down, for cleaning, numerous videos on You Tube. Mechanism is open, not much reason to strip it completely, unless it is seriously dirty, or you need to replace the buffer.

Although everyone has their favorite ammo, every gun has it's favorite ammo too. Buy up a box of 6 - 8 different brands/rounds and see which one shoots best in it, then sight it in and stick with it. Doesn't pay to sight it in until you find the one that shoots sweetest, you'll be all over the target. When you find the right one, it should shoot a singe ragged hole at 25 yards.
Awesome info. The last two digits of the serial number are "25" so that would make the mfg date a 1975? The barrel clearly says Marlin 75C.

Any particular cleaning kit that people prefer? Kid wants to buy it himself (as he did with the rifle).
Pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My 75 is the only semi-auto .22 in the safe. Don't need any others!
And....mine is a tack driver! Your son is gonna love that rifle!
A great rifle to start on.

Reactions: Maineiac

·
Registered
303 Posts
Very nice! Looks like he stole it at that price! There are several good youtube videos about disassembling a model 60 that should be helpful. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL with the recoil spring if you take it down that far. Putting it back in is tricky and very easy to kink the spring. In fact, go ahead and order a recoil spring and buffer from Numrich - gunpartscorp.com.
If they don't have it specifically for the 75C it's possible the model 60 part should work. There are two different styles of buffer - old and new so you'll need to know which one is for your model.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very nice! It is not a 1975, it is much newer as I believe it has a plastic trigger guard and lsho. It's the first two digits of the serial number subtracted from 100. The rifle looks well cared for in great shape.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes sir, he definitely got a deal on that one! If you order a new recoil spring, you might try MCarbo, they are down there in south Florida, and will get the spring to you a little quicker. Likewise, they offer a standard and a hyper velocity recoil spring. The latter being designed for today's hotter .22 LR rounds, to save wear and tear on the buffer. They have a great video on tear down for cleaning, under model 60 spring kit installation.

Having established plastic trigger guard, use some caution when tightening the rear screw in the trigger guard down, fairly common to break the back of the trigger guard off over-tightening the rear screw. DIP products offers a billet aluminum trigger guard that's really sweet.

No real preference on cleaning kits on my end. Find a general purpose rimfire cleaning kit containing solvent, gun oil, brush swags, and patches. Local sporting goods store, Wally World, Amazon, E-Bay.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Hello Pete Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.

If you choose to do a complete tear down when you look down at the the hammer strut there is a hole in it just right for a paper clip. Insert a paper clip in there. It will save you time looking for the spring and cross bar.

Here is the schematic for your son's rifle.

Reactions: rocky1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Pete Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.

If you choose to do a complete tear down when you look down at the the hammer strut there is a hole in it just right for a paper clip. Insert a paper clip in there. It will save you time looking for the spring and cross bar.

Here is the schematic for your son's rifle.
Is that schematic (75) the same as the 75C (ours is the 75C)... I was under the impression they were different?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts