Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting to everyone from Spokane WA,
At this late stage in my life (just turned 70) I decided to try and become a Model 39A collector, well sort of. Not sure why other than my Grandpa had one. Currently have 4, a 1951 39A, a 1994 39A, a 1964 Mountie and a TDS that I am not sure of the year but it does have the safety. I bought the Mountie on Gunbroker and it is in really nice condition and shoots some pretty good groups but there was enough wear and slop in the action that I had a few failure to feeds. The problem seemed like the nub(for no better word) was worn down on the cartridge cutoff bar and the lever might not lift the cartridge carrier. Hope I am getting these part names right. I couldn't find any cartridge cutoffs available anywhere so looked for another way to cure this problem. There appeared to be more play in the lever than necessary so I mutilated and mangled a small spring washer so it would drop in the the lever screw hole and act as a shim. It worked! Maybe others of you have faced this same problem and if so and there is a more eloquent fix out there maybe someone will share it, if not you might try this.
Hope this post is OK, not very forum savvy.
Mark

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Welcome from Idaho, (though I did spend a 2-3 years in Deer Park just N. of you, ( I had Yolks old home)!
Sounds like a reasonable solution to your problem.
I like the lever .22's too, (1898-2001) & they make up about half of my Marlin collection.

·
Registered
31,289 Posts
Welcome from the marshes of south Louisiana.

ca'jun56

Reactions: Downbeach

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the TDS. 1st two digits of serial #, subtract them from 100. That will give year of manufacture. I hope you have the carry bag for it.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Welcome from Central NYS !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the TDS. 1st two digits of serial #, subtract them from 100. That will give year of manufacture. I hope you have the carry bag for it.
I thought maybe that was the deal with the serial number but wasn't sure. Yep, got the bag and an owners manual, very good condition. When I shot it it didn't seem like it had been shot much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well It seems like I may have fixed one problem and caused another or maybe just another problem showed up. Went to the range today and after 30 or 40 rounds my 39 Mountie started trying to feed 2 rounds at a time. So it's back to the shop. This problem seems a little harder to understand. If someone knows how to fix this I would appreciate hearing about it. Not sure about forums, should I have posted this as a new thread?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Belay my last! I was using the old Navy troubleshooting technique LWYSL thinking the problem had something to do with the work I had done on the lever when in fact it was nothing more than a loose cartridge guide spring. Boy is owning old well used Marlins fun.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Hello from Derby City.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts