Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 307 Winchester chambered Marlin barrel from a forum member I'm going to put on my Marlin 336W. I didn't like the thought of not having a 30-30 and have been looking around thinking I'd probably get another Marlin. Then I remembered that my buddy I was going to share a gun show table with before all this Covid 19 stuff canceled it had two Winchesters he was going to bring. He said either one were for sale and let me take my pick. They both looked good. One was an Angle Eject with nicely figured wood. It's action was a little clunky and I'm not crazy about the extra bulk of the AE models. The other was an absolutely gorgeous pre safety model from 1973. It's action is buttery smooth, the trigger brakes at 3.25 pounds, and I can't find a mark on the wood or metal anywhere. I function fired it a few times and it shot to point of aim at 25 yards offhand while feeding and ejecting fine no matter if I worked the lever fast or slow. I traded a pistol and some cash for it and we're both happy. My buddy says he has a box for one of the rifles, but doesn't remember which one it belongs to. It would be a nice bonus if it's for my rifle.

Just got email that my shooting club is opening up to mostly normal rules, not the draconian ones that have been in place the last couple of weeks so I'll get a chance to really try her out soon.

Pictures to come.

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
A 94 winnie freak here. I have winnies from 1925 to 1990. some of the smoothest I have are from the 70s. I will admit the receiver finish will wear fast. but dont let no one tell you they junk etc. mine have NEVER jammed. they are accurate. one has thousands of rds through it. no problems.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice...I have a 1974 Win94....It is smooth. It's not a pre-64....but it shoots great and I don't mind getting a small nick here and there on it like I tend to do when I take them into the woods.

Great find...congrats.

redhawk

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
Congrats. I have to admit I am becoming more and more fond of the 94 over the 336. I was bore sighting my 336SS the other night and brought out a 94 to compare. The 94 just feels better in my hands. I am on the prowl for a pre safety 94AE now, thanks to 94win30wcf. Can’t wait for some pics.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Another Winchester 1894/94 fanatic ! I have them back to a 1906 SRC in 25 35 to a BB 356. I think I have 6. Congratulations !!!

·
Registered
24,172 Posts
Congrats. I have to admit I am becoming more and more fond of the 94 over the 336. I was bore sighting my 336SS the other night and brought out a 94 to compare. The 94 just feels better in my hands. I am on the prowl for a pre safety 94AE now, thanks to 94win30wcf. Can’t wait for some pics.
Try to find a pre safety AE made after serial # 5,103.248 they returned to milled steel receivers. they hold a finish better.

·
Banned
3,320 Posts
I'm willing to bet that's very hard to come by barrel. I got several 356win and 375 win winchester barrels but oh how I would like so much to have a NOS marlin 336er 356 win barrel

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm willing to bet that's very hard to come by barrel. I got several 356win and 375 win winchester barrels but oh how I would like so much to have a NOS marlin 336er 356 win barrel
My 307 barrel, while a JM, was a 30-30 that has been rechambered. Marlin 336's in 356 win are pretty rare. I'm not sure the 307's were actually produced for sale. I'd love to be wrong, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Have a friend that has probably shot more deer than the two of us combined that used 94 Winchester 30-30's. Receiver sight with out the aperture. Claimed 26 one shot kills which I tend to believe from knowing him. Said essentially the same thing. The 94 just felt better than the Marlin. I have an old waffle top and have often felt like taking a rasp to that awkward fore arm made for target shooting. My 336W handles better even. Better yet my 38-55 Cowboy. Had a few Winchesters and wish I would have kept one. They shot cast bullets without a hitch.

DEP

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Love my Marlins, but nothing carries or points more naturally than the Winchester 1894/92’s. They are like a big boys Red Ryder.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I spoke falsely...I have a 1974...my apologies...but still....smooth as silk. (correction in original post.)

redhawk

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Caught up with my buddy who sold me the 94 the other day. Turns out he did have the box for the gun. I'm not sure how much value it adds, but I think it's cool. I paid a little more than the $85.95 penciled in on the box. ;)
DD846795-A62B-4F48-A08A-6A316E91DADF_1_201_a.jpeg 88D3AB1E-0624-4E50-999E-6C4847BEDC59.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts