Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd "show and tell" my new to me Ruger old model "flat top" blackhawk. Went to a gunshow on Saturday and traded for the Ruger.
I've been looking for a shot barreled 3 screw blackhawk for a few years now. Never thought I end up with a "flat top".
Circa 1958. .357 magnum caliber. 4 5/8 inch barrel.
Now to get a holster...
Andy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Nice wheel gun andy :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Finish looks like it's in really good shape, congrats.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with the trade. I wish it didn't have the "turn line" on the cylinder, but what can you do?
At least it was not converted to having a transfer safety bar.
Andy

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
andy I take it you just not into the PC,safe gun act ;D Me neither another good reason to buy the older stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Safety on a single action worked for years with only loading with 5 rounds. Why mess with something that works?
Why be "Politically Correct", when you can be right?
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Nice find...especially in that condition.

Usually you find quite a bit of loss of the anodized finish Ruger used on these aluminum grips frames, but yours seems to be in fine shape. Congrats!

Roe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks In1895SS
Roe, yeah I got lucky on the frame. Do you if someone makes a steel frame for this model?
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The anniversary edition of the .357 Blackhawk and the current production Flat-Top .44 Specials use both a steel grip frame and a steel ejector rod housing. I don't know for certain they are interchangeable but a call to Ruger to confirm and check availability might be in order.

I would suspect, if the grip frame does match up to the main frame, that at least the hammer strut, mainspring, and grip panels would have to be changed as well. Unfortunately, although I have two Flat Top .44 Specials, I lack an original FT to experiment with.

Realize that a steel grip frame (and ejector rod housing) will change the balance of the pistol dramatically.

Roe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maudite, thanks for the link, now only if it was in stock...
Roe, Nice revolvers! My ejector rod housing is already steel. My frame is in great shape, but I like the idea of a steel frame, even at the cost of extra weight.
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Beautiful knife, Roe!

Can we get some details on it?

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Not much to tell. It was a sport show find I picked up inexpensively. Damascus blade with antler and buffalo horn handle, it is unmarked and undoubtably an import, but makes a good match with those Patrick Grashorn elk-stocked Ruger .44 Blackhawks.

A similar knife from the same source became a companion for the Ruger Old Army, this one with bone handles and a nice bit of file work along the top of the blade...

Roe

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Great pictures, Roe. I love the elk stocks. Can't beat the .44 SPCL flattops or the Old Army's.

To the OP:

Ruger sells several different grip frames that will work with your gun. They will need to be fitted and blued however. I like the dragoon grip frames for their unique look. But I would suggest getting some type of replacement grip frame and some custom grips, just to preserve your cherry parts. Those factory XR3 grips, as black as they are, (they will turn brownish with use) should be worth over $100.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts