Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. New member here with a new to me Model 37. Picked this one up at a show recently and know nothing about it. Ive poked around a bit on the computer but there just isnt much info around as to collectibility and value. I dont anticipate getting rid of it but I would like to know if I got taken. It's in good shape for its age. She's complete and functions just fine. Any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.. Here are a few pics..

Marlin 001.JPG Marlin 002.JPG Marlin 003.JPG Marlin 004.JPG Marlin 005.JPG

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
Well that is the thing with Marlin pump rifles. There is very little about them, and if you ask the average Marlin owner, he will say.
They made a pump rifle? The only book that has anything in it about the pumps, is Marlin Firearms: a history of the guns and the company that made them. By William S. Brophy. And it took me 20years after I started collecting, and joining this sight, before I even thought about buying one. I now own a Model 20S,25S,29N, and.3 model 38's. I think the biggest problem is that they were overshadowed by the lever guns that everyone loves, specially the model 39. Also even though they are sweet shooting gun, they were not capable of shooting high velocity ammo. It will brake the bolt and locking bolt.

This is a bit of a warning to you, only shoot standard velocity ammo, 1150fps or less, and your gun will work great for years.

I think that is why you find, several of the guns out there were parted out for that reason. Which makes finding a good one even harder to do. There is one other weakness of the design, the magazine tube. There is a dented in part, on the back end of mag tube, that grabs the mag follower. If that get broken, it is very hard to fix, and most of the time means the gun is now useless. So don't let the mag tube slam shut. And again it will last for years. You can replace it with a later version, but then it just isn't right, if you know what I mean.
And originals are hard to find, and not cheap when you do find one.

The 37 was made from 1923-32, it is possible that up to 12000 or so were made, but it is also possible that the 37,38, and 47 might have shared the serial numbers. The 37 was the same gun as the 20 but with a round barrel.

As to collect-ability, they have been steadily going up in price, and as said finding working examples are not that easy at times. So now that people are realizing that they exits, prices will continue to climb.

Buy the way great looking gun, and welcome to Marlin Owners. Any other question let me know, I will see if I can help.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! That's really a nice rifle! First one I've seen -- I'd be sure to follow Schtoolee's advise on just using standard velocity ammo! John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the reply and the ammo recommendation. As non HV 22lr is quite difficult to find right now, I will likely stick to shorts. Even HV shorts wont hit the 1150 fps mark. I fear I have become infected. I bought a Winchester 9422 for my daughter a few months back and now I'm hooked. I have since gotten a few Remington 12's and now this Marlin.. Are there any other Marlin .22's that I should be on the lookout for. I am a frequent gun show attendee and would hate to overlook something..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts