Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I bought mine earlier this year at a local pawn shop. I will be doing a full resto later when I have time.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
It’s very accurate, but I don’t know if I would say it’s my most accurate. I’ve got a couple 22” Model 60’s that would be hard to beat.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have one in there that has not been seen in many, many moons but I remember a nice little rifle. Bought lightly surface rusted and dry then was completely restored, shot and put away. What I can tell you is treat the rear sight gently and check for tightness. This is not because of weakness or problems but if it is damaged or lost you will be VERY shocked by availability and replacement cost.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
293 Posts
Given to me by my boss in 1983/early 1984.

Long history since I owned it, but suffice it to say that it wasn't impressive in terms of accuracy or reliability until I really started researching and detailing it in 2014. Buffer was powder and chunks, recoil spring kinked, and half of the mag follower was missing. That was just for starters. The front sight came off in my hand when I was picking it up (sight screw stripped). It was a wonder it shot at all.

Sat as a closet queen for almost 30 years. Then I started tinkering with it. Thanks to RimFire Central, I had a good idea of what to look for, and all was bad - but fixable. Numrich solved the challenges, I polished the feed throat somewhat (more to be done), bad parts replaced, and I got a new front sight. Gold trigger, and pre-'68, so no S/N (but barrel stamping indicates 1967 manufacture). Other than replacement consumables, it is as it left the factory.

Pic is before the new front sight: I decided back in 1984 it was cheaper to replace with a cheap scope. That was before the internet...

It is now back to its original configuration. Thankfully, I saved the rear sight!

Some water damage at the base of the stock, Marvel Mystery Oil did a really good job of restoring the stock. It was THIRSTY!

Nice shooter, but I stick to CCI MiniMags for reliability.

My most fun shooter after my Mini-14s!

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
M1, 94: Next on my list of things to do! M1: sweet comparison of Walnut versus Beach/Birch! Both fine and beautiful rifles!

Ever since switching to CCI MiniMags, it has been 100%. MiniMags are the lowest common denominator for all my .22LR weapons. Have A Bersa that will only handle MiniMags, and my 10/22, SR22, and Mk-II are most happy with them compared to others. So I stock up when they're a decent price and that is all I stock/keep/shoot.

Not a huge fan of tube-fed mags, but this ole 99M1 was my first .22 carbine, so there is some sentimental value to me. And...it is fun to shoot! Have a 10/22 for box-mags, and my favorites: two Mini-14s. The older one is the first firearm I ever owned. Runs like a top and in the 38+ years I've owned it, has never missed a beat. Got it a second to give it a periodic rest!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a 75 glenfield,a. 989,a 60 customized into a 70 I buy them whenever I get the chance,and take them in any condition if they're given free,the 75 was given in pieces looks and runs like new now and all accurate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.