1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Marlin owners!!

Just got a "new to me" .30-.30

Looks to be an "oldie but a goodie".

No hammer spur, scope with see through rings, blueing (sic) is pretty much gone, some surface rust on the barrel, fore stock is a bit loose, butt pad could do with replacing, maybe a coat of oil on the wood. Action seems pretty smooth, from my inexperienced view point.

Haven't had a chance to try it at the range yet. Hopefully soon.

Located in the Fraser Valley, BC

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! You've got a fine old Marlin -- don't worry there'll be a lot of folks here telling you how to replace the see-thru rings ;D. Thanks for joining our ranks! John

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Sounds like a very nice simple working field gun.

See-throughs BAD.... Skinner peeps - GOOD!

Assuming you can figure out how to remove those nasty see-throughs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Evening,

Thanks for bothering to read my post!!

I have a couple of other firearms, mostly pistols.

My only other rifle is a BLR-22. No scope, open sights. Have had it for 45 years.

This Marling is the first "scope" that I have had. Never used one before. Will have to see how it goes.

Yes, this is definitely a "not afraid to walk in the bush during the rain and maybe get handled by muddy hands" kind of rifle.

As mentioned by Oscar, who I figure must be a fellow "feather flinger", this is (hopefully) a nice simple, dependable field gun.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi MFive, I'm from NE Florida near Jacksonville. This forum is very informative and friendly. Ask all the questions you want. Someone usually has THE ANSWER. Welcome aboard. Marla

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
MFive said:
As mentioned by Oscar, who I figure must be a fellow "feather flinger", this is (hopefully) a nice simple, dependable field gun.
Guilty as charged!

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,870 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest -
THE "ORIGINAL (North Haven, CT Rifles) MARLIN®" COUNTRY!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome Everyone!

I was hoping to get out to our local Rod and Gun this weekend. Unfortunately, looks like work will be getting in the way.
As soon as I get a chance, I will try it out. And, of course, let you know the results. :)

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Hello MFive & Welcome to MarlinOwners from Arkansas. & yes here very soon some one will give you detailed instructions on how to remove the see-thru rings!!!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I would imagine that all you fine Marlin owners will permit a "newb", like myself, a dumb question.

Like I mentioned, I have never had a 'scope on a rifle. What the *%$## is the problem with having the "see through" rings?

Thanks,

M5

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I am a see thru convert. I had them on 2 marlins that were there when I bought the rifle.

As long as I had time to mount the rifle at the range; from the bench, or over the hood of the truck, they seemed to work fine on both the 30-30 and .444. I shot hundreds of reloads with them and they seemed fine.

Then I was hunting whitetail with the .444 and couldn't get a sight picture when I needed to in a hurry. That's when I realized what they had been telling me here was true. What you are looking for is quick sight picture, and a person needs to get a good "cheek weld" on the stock, same place every time, sometimes real quick.

With the see thru's I was having to raise off the wood in order to get up high enough to get a clear view.

Everyone has their own opinion, so use what works for you! I was pretty sure I liked them, till I couldn't see when it really counted. Some members here have used them for years with good results.

BTW, I have become very fond of the SC's, the shorter mag tube is really sleak!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks very much for the quick reply, Roan444.

I haven't done much hunting since I was fairly young, read about 40 years ago. Like I mentioned, I have always had just the "iron" sights on the rifle.

I can see your point, just by "sighting" a few things in the gun room. I think that I may leave them on for the present. In the last few years all of my shooting has been at paper, so a quick sight picture is not that important.

But, I will make sure that I can get them off. I have developed a tendency to like the simpler things. So much more dependable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome in the MO Forum from Germany!
Great folks, profound knowledge and good humour are here to be found.
Enjoy

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
MFive said:
Ok, I would imagine that all you fine Marlin owners will permit a "newb", like myself, a dumb question.

Like I mentioned, I have never had a 'scope on a rifle. What the *%$## is the problem with having the "see through" rings?

Thanks,

M5
Nothing wrong with them if it works for you. A lot of guys make a big deal about the 'cheek weld', but then they mount a scope with a 44mm (or bigger) objective lens with extra tall rings. Their scope is sitting up just as high if they had used see thru rings. You just need to make sure your scope is mounted high enough that the objective lens doesn't touch your barrel or rear sight. Once you learn to use a scope, getting a sight picture is fast and easy. The biggest mistake first time scope users make is looking through the scope first and then trying to find the target. The correct way is to look at the target and bring the scope up to your eye. This will just naturally put everything in alignment. Good luck with that new rifle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts