Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by my favorite pawn broker today to do paperwork on a couple of gun broker items. Asked if she had anything good coming up and she came out with a leather rifle case. Inside was a very clean scratch free Glenfield model 30A in 30-30 with scope. As I type this the scope was either Glenfield or Marlin, cant remember, and the stock was checkered with I think a deer or leaves on it. Got it for 200 out the door (so to speak) and pick it up in 10days, (love California's waiting period). Anyway, this is my first 30-30 and second Marlin. The first is a Marlin 882S.

So how did I do? Cant wait to get it in my hands and post some photos.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Re: New to me Glenfield 30A

I'd say you did really well! I gave 275 for mine and no scope. It's a very accurate rifle, congrats on your find. DP

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

payed 280 for mine with a box of leverevolutions withought a scope. your doin just fine.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Yes, you did very well.

I'd sure hate to have to wait 10 days for it. Calif. sure has some strange gun laws.

We'll be expecting pictures of it in about a week and a half. ;D

·
Registered
797 Posts

:-[ double tapp.

·
Registered
139 Posts

$200 out the door? You did good! Had the time today to stop at diff pawn/gun shops. (marlinitis kicking in) Not much available. What they did have nothing under $300 and all needed care.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

Sounds like an excellent score.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts

Fairly good price. I bought 2 of those guns, one was a 1976 model and one a 1983 model. I paid $160 for the 1983 and $200 for the 1976 which was in better shape. I think if you can get one for anything under $250, you have done well. I have sold all of my other 30-30's and kept the 1976, replacing the cheap-o birch pressed checkering stock with a laminated stock off of a 308 MXLR. Add a big loop, and I have a great BL gun for about $300 total parts & pieces.

This:

Into this:

It's a great deer slayer with 170 gr Remington Core-Lokt bullets.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Great find for the price!

I paid $225 for mine but it was bought from a friend. Mine has a deeper looking wood with no checkering on it so I don't know what that means about it. It is a Glenfield 30A for sure though.

·
Registered
336 Posts

10 day wait for a lever action ?
I feel bad for the good folks or California, damn shame the left is at the helm.

By the way nice rifle , congrats .

·
Registered
173 Posts

dpe.ahoy said:
I'd say you did really well! I gave 275 for mine and no scope. It's a very accurate rifle, congrats on your find. DP
Think you did great...I gave $275 for my G-30 without scope

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

Did you get the leather gun case, too?

If it's real leather, that's worth mucho dinero.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The case is real leather, should have gotten pics, but they will come in 9 more days, sigh.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts

Mine has the smooth wood also, no impressed "checkering" Were there certain years that the wood was smooth? I think mine is a 1980, would have to check to be sure. Like I said, mine is very accurate, was going to send it off to JES to bore to 38-55 but it's to accurate to mess with. It really likes vanilla plain Federal 150's and at $12.00 a box, I see no reason to reload for that one. DP

·
Registered
88 Posts

dpe.ahoy said:
Mine has the smooth wood also, no impressed "checkering" Were there certain years that the wood was smooth? I think mine is a 1980, would have to check to be sure. Like I said, mine is very accurate, was going to send it off to JES to bore to 38-55 but it's to accurate to mess with. It really likes vanilla plain Federal 150's and at $12.00 a box, I see no reason to reload for that one. DP
Mine is a 1981 according to the serial so I guess they made a smooth wood run at that time.

Mine is very accurate too - as I think most Glenfields are.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

cudamank, welcome to MO first, enjoy yourself here. NOW, you are guilty of GTM, a Glenfield 30 in good shape and a leather case all for $200 OTD, you are living right. Pictures and range report when you finaly get the Glenfield home, take care, John.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts