Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of hours ago I purchased this 989 M2 from a LGS for $125.00. It's got the Marlin bullseye, (walnut) stock, and the previous owner installed a made in China scope. (To be replaced with a Tech Sights). 7rd clip, sling swivels. Previous owner removed the rear sight.
The first four digits of the serial number are "2435XXXX". Can anyone date this gun, or give me any info about these guns?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Very cool gun. Made in 1976. There are several folks on here that have them, so i'm sure they will be telling you about the gun.

I actually have the 1976 Marlin Catalog. It shows the 99M1 and 99M2 on pages 16 & 17. They are based on the Marlin 99 (the current Marlin Model 60) action with the special stock. The M1 is tube fed, and the M2 is clip fed.

The original price in 1976 was $66.95.

I just bought a Marlin Model 49, which is based on the same 99 action, but with a 2 piece stock. Marlin used to have some very cool guns back in the day.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
What a cool gun! I've never heard of the M2 variant, I think it's a neat idea. I'd say you got a pretty good deal, missing rear sight or not, I bet you could find one pretty easily if you wanted to. I'd scope it, to take advantage of the Marlin barrel's accuracy, but that's just me, I put glass on everything. Let us know how it shoots! 8)

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info, and props... I just got back from the range, and it's definitely a better gun than I am a shooter! I did take the Chinese scope off, replaced it with an old made in Texas Weaver 4x. Rather have the correct rear sight for it though. The Weaver was all I had though, so I may try to find some sort of peep for it. I think Williams has something that looks close to the original. All I've seen of the original rear sight is some fuzzy online pics. The Tech Sights would be sweet, however the front sight would have to be mounted by a smith, as the barrel would need drilling and tapping.

I did clean up the wood, and rubbed some oil on the barrel, mebbe tomorrow I'll take it apart and deep clean it.

Take care!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts