Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that I don't post very much here and when I do I'm usually bitching about one of my Marlins. I just wanted to share my long journey that has a happy ending. About two years ago I finally had the money to purchase a life-long dream of mine, a Marlin 39 A. I ordered a new one and anxiously waited until it arrived. When I got it I was immediatly dissapointed. The metal to metal fit was awful and when I went out to shoot it I had to move the rear sight so far to the right that the left side of the rear sight was touching the left edge of the dovetail notch. Since it was not drilled an tapped for a receiver sight, I sold it to a friend for a considerable loss. He drilled and tapped it himself and is happy with it now. I then saved some more and ordered a new 1897T. On this one the rear of the bolt stuck out the back of the receiver an eighth of an inch, there were fairly deep machining marks on the receiver, the front sight was bent and the rear sight could be pushed out of the dove tail with your finger. I sent it back to the factory and they fixed everything. I then took it out to shoot it and I notice that it was becoming harder to extract shells. I looked at the chamber an the firing pin was hitting the rim of the chamber and had peened the metal to the point that the shells were dragging on it. I sent it back to the factory and Marlin fixed the firing pin and smoothed the chamber rim. I then traded this rifle for a 39A that was made in 1996. Man was that a good move. This rifle is perfect and everything I always had dreamed of. This was the reason that I stayed loyal to Marlin through everything. I also have a 336CS that I bought in 1984. I love that rifle as well. I guess I just a little worried about what has happend to this company recently. Did I just have bad luck or is this something that others have noticed? Anyway, I'm very happy with my rifle now and glad to be back on the Marlinowners forum with you fine gentlemen. Have a great Thanksgiving all. :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
K-9,
I'm glad you're all set up now. Sometimes a black cloud will follow a feller around for awhile and cause him nothing but bad luck. It sounds like that's what happened to you. I do think the rifle makers are trying to cut corners to keep the cost down and quality suffers. If I were going to buy a 39A it would have to be an older one, same with a 336.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
K-9

Your experience is exactly why I try to stick to the older Marlins, mailnly for two reasons.....I absolutely refuse to buy a Marlin with the stupid cross-bolt safety. That pretty much limits me to the pre 83 guns, and that brings me to the second reason. It's my opinion that the older guns had a better fit and finish than the newer guns. Besides, I kinda enjoy the hunt for clean, well preserved guns - there are always good choices on Gunbroker and Auctionarms.....I don'y have any first hand experience with the newer Marlins, but you can't beat the older ones.

Shum8

·
Registered
13 Posts
39A

Sorry to hear about the not so good finding on new Marlins, guess I lucked out. I bought a new 39A a couple months back and it's fit and finish is very good, compares well to several older ones Ive seen. Took some working the action, no mods, to get it to feed 22 short's ok but other than that it's been a prize, at least to me... Put a ORH rear sight on it and a touch of hiviz paint on the front sight and that really helped this tri-focal wearer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think you just had a run of bad luck, k9medic......

My 39A is a 2001 model and it is everything I expected it to be.....fit and finish is very well done. I'm extremely pleased with how it looks, how well made it is, as well as how well it shoots.

Marlin, just like any manufacturer, will put out an occasional product that falls short of it's goals. I guess you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to be on the receiving end of Marlin's shortcommings!

As far as the cross-bolt safety goes......If I could have chosen between having one, or not, I'd opt for not having one. But, I have no problems with it being there. It is a well designed safety, and I have learned to use it. There have been those who have missed an opportunity for a good shot because of it. I haven't because I have been able to adjust my shooting habits to conform to the mechanics of my rifle. I don't blame those who refuse to get a cross-bolt safety, but I do think they are missing out on some good opportunities to get some of the very fine rifles Marlin currently offers.

I hope your luck changes!

hog

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I took my rifle out yesterday and it shoots like a dream. The action is starting to get slick and I'm really enjoying it. Between shooting this rifle and some of you replies, my heart is starting to warm again towards Marlin. I agree with Hogship, I don't mind the rebounding hammer and crossbolt safety. In fact, I kind of like the cross bolt safety. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have two older Marlin 39s, one is a 39A and the other is a 39M. Both rifles are pre-cross bolt safety. Both have good fit of wood to metal and both shoot real well. I did buy one of Marlin's new lever action .410 shotguns and it has great wood to metal fit, smooth action, but it doesn't fire slugs very well. However, that doesn't really mean anything other than I haven't found a slug for the gun yet.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I dunno about the legality of buckshot for game in your area- if it is legal you may have a good performer in your .410 lever with mid size buck loads...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well K9 you are a very loyal Marlin owner to stick by them through all that! I'm pretty loyal too, but I don't own much newer than WWI, so it's easy to be loyal!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I really don't mind the cross bolt safety, but its the warning roll marked into the barrel that I can't stand.

·
Registered
187 Posts
there is a kit that replaces the saftey with a screw...looks OEM you should look into it, also you can get the rebounding hammer taken off at a gunsmith

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have only bought one new Marlin in recent years, an 1895M and have had no problems at all with it. Functions flawlessly and shoots very good for a levergun.

Congrats on your 39. That has always been my dream .22 and after putting it off for over 30 years I finaly picked up a 1957 39A about a year ago. Some moths flew out of the wallet on that one but It was one of the best firearms purchases I have ever made. She is well entrenched in the never to sell or trade catagory.

Enjoy yours. They are pure sweetness.

Larry

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Neat..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts