Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got one. Should be special, as it is a 24 inch 1951 336A. Looks to be newly stocked with a blue-dulled receiver. Bore in excellent condition. In reviewing the data, I obviously noticed the conspicuous lack of 40000psi loads. Anyone know of any data that would be supportive of this gun? Not even Hodgden appears to be helping us out!

I have a neat 210gr. mold coming for my 356 that will work for this as well. I also will be trying out the 200gr. Rem., and 220 Speer. Probably start out with H4895. Any doses anyone cares to share? Other favorite powders?

I have been happy with a multitude in my 356. It seems to like certain velocities as much as powders

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well, well, well... Dr A finally broke down and bought a .35. It was just a matter of time. OK, now for the questions;

Is this mod A drilled and tapped?

You said it is newly stocked, is the new stock in keeping with the ventage of the rifle?

Ballard I suppose?

How about the overall condition of the receiver and barrel, good? No pitting?

It is older rifles like this that factory rounds are loaded for, I would think. So it may be wise to tread lightly until you know the rifle a bit better (why am I telling you that??).

Can you tell how much it has been shot (smooth action)?

Congrads, Dr. A, I'm tickeled pink for you.

SS

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not drilled and tapped for scope. Has drilled/tapped areas on side of receiver for peep sight. Has ballard rifleing. Has ultra-smooth action. Has been used. Has perfect trigger. Has copper fouling. On closer exam, the stocks are fitted perfectly and are refinished. I guess they are original or very professionally done. Might reblue, but will definitely take it easy to begin with. Barrel crown looks good. No pitting. Fading looks to be from carry/ and or closet coverage. Will make a great wall hanger if it doesn't shoot. These things are rare as hens teeth around here. Glad I finally found one. I could have bought 20 of the 20 inchers. I held out for a 24.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There's nothing like one of those old 50's ventage A's. That 24" barrel just does something for the aesthetics of the rifle.

How did you come across it?

SS

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have two 336A's in .35, and my favorite lever is still my Winchester 71, but not by much over these two A's.

I love the caliber and LOVE these two rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Dr. A run a search on 35 Remington's posts he has done two very detailed posts with a lot of information on rounds and loads, last one was just put up http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5522 . Don't know if he has what you are looking for but there is a lot of information. Also check Greg Mushials' web site as he has a lot of data on a lot of calibers available, http://www.gmdr.com/ .

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Dr. A,

Go to the post by 35 remington on this forum. Then search back for his previous posts or send him a PM. He is "the Man" for basic info on 35 Rem reloads. I don't go as hot as he does, but I have a 35 Whelen for the heavy stuff. I have learned a great deal from his posts. From there I take to to my comfort level.

Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Way to go!! When I get home I will PM you some of my 35 Rem loads that I have found to shoot very well. I think you will really like it.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fellas for all the help. I found what I needed. Looks like I'll start with H4895 and Rel. 7. Already have a 356, so I am not hot rodding this baby. I still can't get over the trigger. 8)

·
Premium Member
10,997 Posts
Dr. A,
Congrats on your new 35 !........ Pull the butt stock and you'll find it serial numbered to the receiver in the tang relief if its original.
The receivers were heated and "burned to fit " to the butt stocks, and then they were numbered to match and stayed as a mated pair through production of the individual rifle in that era.
We still burn to fit, but with CNC machining tolerance control, its not necessary to number and match them anymore.
Re; reloads, I've been useing the 200Gr Hornady RN bullet over 39.5 Gr.s of IMR 4320 in my '57 336RC for 25+ years, with good results on paper and deer. I would expect you to get approx 2100 FPS with this load. I get 1980 FPS from my 16.25" barrel.

Tomray
NRA LIFE

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Tomray.

Bigmed gave me some other loads as well and looks like some of your info overlaps. I got the 32 yesterday as well. Figured I better get it while it was available. Don't usually go as nuts as this, but had been saving up for something I really didn't need (bigbore handgun), and decided my heart was more to the Marlins.

Any idea what that bore is going to slug out at Tomray?

I have been told they are smaller, and somewhere around .318 or .319. This gun is also an A, and I know it was made in 52. This is going ot be another cast bullet shooter. I like long barrels for that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dr A,

When you get that 32 in, would you be so kind as to give us a good description of it. I had bid a couple times on it, but it got to expensive for my limited funds. Just curious as to what I missed out on.

gary

G

·
smooth action /how much shot?

Dr. A said:
Not drilled and tapped for scope. Has drilled/tapped areas on side of receiver for peep sight. Has ballard rifleing. Has ultra-smooth action. Has been used. Has perfect trigger. Has copper fouling. On closer exam, the stocks are fitted perfectly and are refinished. I guess they are original or very professionally done. Might reblue, but will definitely take it easy to begin with. Barrel crown looks good. No pitting. Fading looks to be from carry/ and or closet coverage. Will make a great wall hanger if it doesn't shoot. These things are rare as hens teeth around here. Glad I finally found one. I could have bought 20 of the 20 inchers. I held out for a 24.
:D I posted about this over a yr ago and everyone was pulling their stocks and no one found what i did. Here it is ,I have a 32spl 336SC that is a smooth as glass and i can work it with one finger.I bought my favorite cal. 35 Rem in a 336SC and I needed a running start to work the action. When the bolt came to the hammer it really got hard working.On pulling the stocks I found TWO notches for the main spring.Oonce I changed the notch on the 35 to the same one on the 32spl It improved 100%. Idon't know what models this was done to,but my SC models are 51/52 yr. so the "A" models probably have the same feature.many guys pulled their stocks and found only one notch. any input on this as when it was started. stopped? --Jim-- I did find a 3030SC so now i have all three. :D Sorry Dr A this was meant for Sidespins post on how much it was shot how smooth it worked .long day hit the wrong post.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Grand ol Marlins - you got to love them.

Dr. A said:
Thanks fellas for all the help. I found what I needed. Looks like I'll start with H4895 and Rel. 7. Already have a 356, so I am not hot rodding this baby. I still can't get over the trigger. 8)
Well Dr. A
Guess you have read Marlin 35 posts by now.
I have a 54 Marlin 336/35 and it is a great lead shooter . I load Varget over the 205 GC RCBS mould cast bullet .
Then I load the 180 speer over a healthy dose of BLC-2. and the rifle loves them.
There is something special about the feel and handling of these old rifles that seems to been lost over time. For one thing the bores on the new rifles seem to be a bit more generous.

Now I have had two new Marlins which I later sold, but if I were to come accross an early fifties rifle again- it would probably follow me home.

Now you have yet to say something about the 32.
Maybe we could get Slim on a 32 AI
Happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts