Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here you go 444GunSlinger2, the range report you've been waiting for on my 338MX. I simply cannot thank you enough for that heads up on the 308MX which led also to this beautiful 338MX. So, thanks again buddy! Here is my 338MX and it came with the Bushnell Banner 3-9X40MM scope. Although, I will be selling the scope with Leupold mount and rings for another set up. The action has been slicked up and while it has an awesome trigger, it isn't quite as light as my 308MX trigger but very close. These Express rifles have awesome triggers.

DSC00147_E35%_2.jpg DSC00145_E35%.jpg DSC00151_E35%_2.jpg DSC00154_E35%.jpg DSC00160_E35%.jpg

I've been very busy lately so making it back out to the Sportsman Club to dial in my 338MX has been a challenge, not to mention the weather hasn't been cooperating much. Mainly heavy rains (finally, we need it!) and the range turns to a swamp until it dries out enough (sand over clay doesn't drain well). Last year I made the mistake of not letting the range dry out enough and between the 100YD and 200YD I lost both shoes in about 8 inches deep in muck, more like quick sand. Kind of like walking through a mine field out there making it memorable... HA! So I was a tad more patient to avoid a repeat after these heavy rain storms of late. In between the storms we've had quite a bit of wind so it has been a challenge getting back out.

The weather forecast was for blue skies with afternoon wind of 7 to 10 mph but the wind will kick up significantly early evening. I can live with that and the range had nearly two weeks to dry out so we're off. We packed up and I asked my lovely wife to pack some extra batteries for the camera, more on that latter.

I invited some friends along and we decided to meet up in Grass Valley for breakfast and then head to the Sportsman's Club in Nevada City. We got set up at 25YDS for hand guns, 100 and 200YDS, and I helped my daughter and wife with their shooting a bit and decided to take some pictures of their fun. My daughter is learning the finer details of adjusting the Marbles Tang Sight so that took awhile. My wife wanted more instruction in improving her hand gun skills.

My buddy Mike brought along his 270WIN, Mosin Nagant M91 and his Shotgun to name a few and since it was his first time to the range I helped him out a bit. Through all this I was able to set up and got one shot off and noticed Mike was having a time of it, not on target. So, for the next hour I helped him out, bored sighted his 270WIN and got him on paper. Being a newbie I went over understanding MOA, using a scope to dial in his POI to POA at 25, 100 and then out to 200YDS. Some additional pictures below with my wife on the camera. All this time the wind was fairly light and variable and for about two hours I jumped around helping out my wife, daughter, Mike's wife and Mike. So I didn't pay too much attention thinking I had plenty of time and continued helping out everyone else which I really enjoy. Well, weather forecasters have been known to not quite get things correct and that proved to be the case today.

The bench area is fairly well protected from wind so I didn't quite notice how much the wind had began to kick up. By the time I got to dialing in my 338MX it was beginning to blow out on the target area real good and especially at the 200YD just below the ridge.

With the 338MX being shipped I figured it might be off and honestly, I really didn't know if it was even zeroed or where. So I checked where it would print at 25YDS and made a couple of adjustments to elevation and wind-age and then jumped to 100YDS. Shot two and it was 1 inch high just above the bulls eye. Made an adjustment and shot nearly 0.75 high of the 3 inch outside ring. Another adjustment put me right at 3 inches high, where it is suppose to be and shot three for a group. Not bad considering the cross wind blowing at probably 15MPH with some darn strong gusts, I figured between 20 to 25MPH. My barrel was quite warm by now so I decided to hold for a cease fire to measure the target and get a picture. Well, when the cease fire came, we all scrambled out and in our haste we forgot the ruler so I took the picture and left the target until the next cease fire. My group measured 0.71875 which I was more than a happy with it.

Got back to the bench and went for the 200YD target to see what it would print. Interestingly, I noticed while concentrating my hold on target it was moving forward and back waving in the cross winds along the ridge, back and forth towards me. So, it made things a tad interesting! HA! I wanted it to print 1.2 inches high at 200YDS for -7.90 at 300YDS. My first two shots were a tad low, 1 to 1.25 inches. My next shot was 3 inches high and I was getting frustrated with the wind waving the target so I decided to shoot three more and attempt to time the wind gusts. You'll notice the three plugs for the first three shots which I covered for the picture of the later three shots. No adjustments were made. A whole bunch better with my attempts to patiently shoot between the gusts but still, I have no idea what it would print if it were a calm day. The three shot group measured 1.5625 and I'm very proud of that under the stupid conditions.

Meanwhile, my daughter forgot that I wanted to hold off shooting the 100YD 338 target and began peppering it because her target was pretty my toast. So, I never did get a picture of my group with a ruler. But my daughter sure had fun. Oh well, my wife killed the camera batteries by then anyway and forgot to grab the extras so it didn't matter.

The GONGS
Meanwhile, I abandoned the paper for GONG time. The gongs measure 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 inches and are heavy thick steel so they don't wave like paper targets. I sent two boxes down range beating the gongs to death! I think partly because of frustration with finally getting out to shoot and it being so darn windy and then it was just too much fun nailing them gongs! My wife was using the field glasses watching the action while Mike and I shot the dickens out of them. My daughter joined in gong fun as well. My shots rang true missing only once on the 4 inch gong for 2 out of 3. All the others, 39 trigger pulls, rang out loud and clear going from the 12 inch down to the 4 inch. Definitely putting the hurt on those gongs. HA! The 338MX hits them very hard and I was quite impressed how much the large gong, being the heaviest, moved back and forth being hit. She's a hard hitter. :biggrin:

Oh, and speaking of loud, I just love the big boom of this 338MX. It's not a big bore but the mid bore 33's still make a resounding BOOM! It sure got the attention of everyone that was there and yet again the Marlin lever rifles draws a crowd of people asking questions. I love shooting this Marlin and could probably shoot the darn thing all day. Way too much fun and for the amount of energy on game it sure has a mild recoil.

Through all this I cleaned the barrel twice. I will mention that the barrel seems to be a bit heat sensitive in relation to accuracy much more than my 308MX. With the 308MX I have drilled 14 shots all within an inch whereas the 338MX can only make it to about 7 or 8 shots before heat affects the accuracy. FWIW.

Well, that's it. Hope you enjoyed the report of our day pulling triggers, punching paper, and slamming gongs. More pictures below early one before the wind really kicked up.

Jack

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
338MX Range Report 003_E25%.jpg 338MX Range Report 002_E25%.jpg 338MX Range Report 004_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 006_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 007_E20%.jpg
The range - Gongs - My daughter - your's truly in the sweat jacket and Mike on the 270WIN

My daughter is shooting her great grand papa's 1894 Winchester built in 1898. It is now a 32 Special and she cannot keep her hands off of it! HA!

More pictures coming...

Jack

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
Jack, Sure sounds as tho yall had a very good time at the range, & that my Friend is what it's all about.. Family, Good Friends & Good Shootin,, That's the good life!!:beer:

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
338MX Range Report 001_E25%.jpg 338MX Range Report 008_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 007_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 026_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 028_E20%.jpg
100YD - 0.71875 200YD 200YD - 1.5625 Wife shooting S&W 1911 .45ACP and then S&W 686 .357MAG

More to come

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
338MX Range Report 025_E20%.jpg 338MX Range Report 010_E20%.jpg

The wife getting a tad more serious and yours truly before the winds kicked up.

Jack

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jack, Sure sounds as tho yall had a very good time at the range, & that my Friend is what it's all about.. Family, Good Friends & Good Shootin,, That's the good life!!:beer:
Roy, we had a great time! Heck, anytime at the Club is a great time. It doesn't get much better than family and friends shooting for a day. In June or July we'll be having one of the big gatherings and that gets a tad crazy. Especially when everyone is trying to out shoot my youngest grand daughter! Dang she's good but hey, I taught her. HA!

Jack

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
Especially when everyone is trying to out shoot my youngest grand daughter! Dang she's good but hey, I taught her. HA!

Jack
:congrats:Well Jack, You remember the ole saying,, The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree!!:biggrin: I remember about 10 years ago, I was letting my youngest Grandson shoot my crossbow, & as he had never shot one before, I had instructed him to put the "Red Dot" in the bullseye & & when he was ready, then pull the trigger. Well, he shot a little high,, in fact about 6 foot high, & That arrow went flying off into the woods. After I regrouped & recouped from laughing so hard we went to find the arrow, & finally found it, about 6 months later while walking thru the woods!!:biggrin: He has gotten to where he can shoot the crossbow a lot better now, but I still laugh everytime I think about that 1 shot!!:biggrin:

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:congrats:Well Jack, You remember the ole saying,, The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree!!:biggrin: I remember about 10 years ago, I was letting my youngest Grandson shoot my crossbow, & as he had never shot one before, I had instructed him to put the "Red Dot" in the bullseye & & when he was ready, then pull the trigger. Well, he shot a little high,, in fact about 6 foot high, & That arrow went flying off into the woods. After I regrouped & recouped from laughing so hard we went to find the arrow, & finally found it, about 6 months later while walking thru the woods!!:biggrin: He has gotten to where he can shoot the crossbow a lot better now, but I still laugh everytime I think about that 1 shot!!:biggrin:
That is hilarious! And told well Roy. HA! Some of the very most fond memories is teaching both my daughters and two grand daughters to shoot. The interesting thing is I can out shoot my older bother big time. My youngest daughter can out shoot my older daughter. My youngest grand daughter can out shoot my older grand daughter. The younger of the two siblings appears to have some sort of an edge and it definitely runs in the family. I find that just a tad interesting. HA!

Keep it up with your grandson Roy. He will never forget it and neither will you. :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing that.

Jack

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Congrats on the sweet looking rifle! Great range report :tee:

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ballistics04. While I still love the old classics I must admit these Express rifles performance are winning my heart, especially for out west. Truly impressive.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
24,949 Posts
Man what a day, Jack! Its great when all the family can get into the act. It took awhile to get my wife involved--but she is already bugging me on when we are going to the range when I get back from overseas. Times have changed--she wants to shoot her Henry 30-30 now! I knew that 338MX would be a shooter! I wonder if the bigger and heavier bullet causes the barrel heat-up quicker and thus affecting accuracy? How was the recoil of the 338MX from the bench? I hear its much more pleasureable to shoot than the '06. If I ever get my hands on one--there goes my Rem Model 700 30-06.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Beautiful rifle Jack and good shootin looks like your ready to put some meat in the freezer with that setup!!!!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and JACKTW

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man what a day, Jack! Its great when all the family can get into the act. It took awhile to get my wife involved--but she is already bugging me on when we are going to the range when I get back from overseas. Times have changed--she wants to shoot her Henry 30-30 now! I knew that 338MX would be a shooter! I wonder if the bigger and heavier bullet causes the barrel heat-up quicker and thus affecting accuracy? How was the recoil of the 338MX from the bench? I hear its much more pleasureable to shoot than the '06. If I ever get my hands on one--there goes my Rem Model 700 30-06.
Yep, it is a shooter and I will be curious what it will print on a calm day. I do believe the heavier bullet along with the amount of powder burn contributes to the barrel heating up much faster than the 308MX. It is definitely more heat sensitive in relation to accuracy too. Plus, I noticed after about 15 to 16 shots it begins to open up a tad. I'm figuring the rifles quirks out slowly. It seems much more critical that you allow some time to cool the barrel after making an adjustment in dialing it in.

Good to hear your wife is getting involved. How does she like her Henry 30-30? I have yet to warm up to the loading of a Henry but I know they're good firearms.

Nothing pleases me more than a day at the range with family and friends. The girls have always been into it but in the past several years their level of interest is much higher. My daughter can't put the Winny down and the wife loves hand guns. I catch her talking hand guns more and more lately. But since they shot the 308MX they're relentlessly asking when they will get theirs. They LOVE it!

The 338MX recoil is just slightly more than the 308MX to me. It's a cream puff, to steal Flat Tops way of putting it. An 06 will cause my old neck injury to flare up for several days after where I can shoot the 338MX with no affects, that should put it into perspective. Although I've heard the 338MXLR is more akin to the 06. I don't know, I've never fired the XLR. All I know is my 338MX fits well after giving up my 35Whelen and without the pain. That said, I've never been recoil sensitive but the past two plus years heavy recoil feels like whiplash for several days. Shoulder, no problem but I don't like the neck pain.

The 338MX hits harder than I expected on the large gong. It was very impressive. You'll love it Jay and I agree, you won't need to keep your 06.

Jack

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Glad to hear you enjoy the 338 so much Jack! The MXLR I have is sweet to shoot, a bit heavier than the MX and has a thick, soft recoil pad installed from the factory. It does hit hard on game as well as gongs. Have had others with me tell me at the shot, the animal folded or staggered at the impact. I could not see it due to recoil pulling the scope off target, but the one that staggered, wobbled maybe 15 feet and left a HEAVY blood trail. DP

·
Super Moderator
24,949 Posts
Yep, it is a shooter and I will be curious what it will print on a calm day. I do believe the heavier bullet along with the amount of powder burn contributes to the barrel heating up much faster than the 308MX. It is definitely more heat sensitive in relation to accuracy too. Plus, I noticed after about 15 to 16 shots it begins to open up a tad. I'm figuring the rifles quirks out slowly. It seems much more critical that you allow some time to cool the barrel after making an adjustment in dialing it in.

Good to hear your wife is getting involved. How does she like her Henry 30-30? I have yet to warm up to the loading of a Henry but I know they're good firearms.

Nothing pleases me more than a day at the range with family and friends. The girls have always been into it but in the past several years their level of interest is much higher. My daughter can't put the Winny down and the wife loves hand guns. I catch her talking hand guns more and more lately. But since they shot the 308MX they're relentlessly asking when they will get theirs. They LOVE it!

The 338MX recoil is just slightly more than the 308MX to me. It's a cream puff, to steal Flat Tops way of putting it. An 06 will cause my old neck injury to flare up for several days after where I can shoot the 338MX with no affects, that should put it into perspective. Although I've heard the 338MXLR is more akin to the 06. I don't know, I've never fired the XLR. All I know is my 338MX fits well after giving up my 35Whelen and without the pain. That said, I've never been recoil sensitive but the past two plus years heavy recoil feels like whiplash for several days. Shoulder, no problem but I don't like the neck pain.

The 338MX hits harder than I expected on the large gong. It was very impressive. You'll love it Jay and I agree, you won't need to keep your 06.

Jack
My wife loves both her Henry 30-30 and Golden Boy 22 Mag. Both rifles function perfectly and flawlessly, plus the fit and finish are miles ahead of a new Remlin. They also have wood on them that resembles wood stocks coming out of the Marlin custom shop from back in the day. They are that good. The Henry 30-30 is slower to load then a comperable 336C or 336W--but is much faster to unload compared to the Marlin 30-30s. It functions much better than the new Remlins and she can shoot the bull out at 100 yards with the 3-9X scope I installed on her rifle. Yes--I know its too much scope--but MOMMA likes it that way! You know the deal Jack! Same thing with the 22 Mag Golden Boy--but this one has a Weaver Rimfire classic 2-7X mounted. That rifle is just about perfect too.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Great write up and range report Jack. I'm happy to hear you finally put some rounds through your 338MX.
Your rifle looks great in the pictures, good figure and a forearm that matches the butt stock. You landed a pretty one!
I'm like you and enjoy helping my fellow shooters so much that I sometimes don't leave much time to shoot myself.

We have a little wind here in Nebraska from time to time. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.
When I shot the buck in my avatar, the wind was gusting to 35mph, left to right. I played it in the shot as best I could and it still went a little more right than I figured.

Your groups look very good, wind or not. I'm sure you'll be rewarded with a calm day soon.

You are quite lucky to have friends and family that enjoy the range time as much as yourself.
Thanks again for a great report...

·
Administrator
27,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great write up and range report Jack. I'm happy to hear you finally put some rounds through your 338MX.
Your rifle looks great in the pictures, good figure and a forearm that matches the butt stock. You landed a pretty one!
I'm like you and enjoy helping my fellow shooters so much that I sometimes don't leave much time to shoot myself.

We have a little wind here in Nebraska from time to time. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.
When I shot the buck in my avatar, the wind was gusting to 35mph, left to right. I played it in the shot as best I could and it still went a little more right than I figured.

Your groups look very good, wind or not. I'm sure you'll be rewarded with a calm day soon.

You are quite lucky to have friends and family that enjoy the range time as much as yourself.
Thanks again for a great report...
Thanks Chris and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Yep, this 338MX is definitely a keeper for sure. I got pretty lucky finding this one and she shoots very well. Not a hiccup either with some of the problems people have reported. I feel quite fortunate.

I bet you get some wind in Nebraska and that is some mighty fine shooting in 35MPH wind. Great job!

Hopefully, the next time out it won't be blowing especially when the trees are dropping pollen bombs. It makes my eyes puddle big time, HA! The family, friends, what can I say, I'm blessed.

Hey, you once asked or mentioned you'd be curious to know my thoughts in power between the 308 and 338ME... I believe that was it. Well, they both hit very hard but a .33 at 200GR wins hands down. It sure put the hurt on those gongs ringing them loud and clear! Now that is some serious fun. Seriously, I am very impressed with the energy it delivers with such mild recoil. Does that suffice?

Jack

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Jack that is a darn fine range report. I hate to hear the wind was a factor but keeping that in mind I can clearly see you can for darn sure shoot in the same wind while trying to take game and not just shoot paper or gongs. Considering the wind you did some real fine shooting and I impressed with both guns. Way to go my friend way to go.

You will have no problem killing game in the same type wind. You have proved you can shoot in it.

Enjoyed the report and the pictures Jack. It was almost like being there with you. Thanks for sharing with us. Congratulations Buddy.

Enjoy the Journey
Buck

Reactions: oleroy and JACKTW
1 - 20 of 38 Posts