1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Congrats on your new shooter!:tee:

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there twopass -- Nice rifle. There is some information up in the 32-40, 38-55... forum that might help you get started. Good thinking on your sight choices. Looks like you'll need a little drillin' and tappin' for both of them. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought one when they where first offered after buying a 1894 45 Colt. Great rifles I love them!!

I have Marbels tang peeps on both. The '55 shoots a " splash" of unique and a 255g bullet very nicely!

I had to open my chamber as it would t chamber a bullet large ouch to shoot accurately. I could chamber a .379 in that special starline brass but that was it. Now I shoot .381's in winny brass with zero issues! Took five minutes to ream it to .400.

Good luck,
CW

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice rifle twopass! Congrats, and let us know how she does at the range.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!
Yes I had skimmed threads in .38-55 forum, good resource!
Ream the throat? :ahhhhh:Say it ain't so, I'm just wrapping my head around slugging the bore. And re-loading with its concomitant tooling requirements.
Glad the receivers not yet been drilled. Like to find a real old-time peep for it. Or maybe just the tang sight for now leaving the receiver un-adulterated?
Like this say.....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice rifle, and a fun cartridge.

It's a pure pleasure to shoot.

Congratulations on your find!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there twopass -- If you load ammunition of the correct dimension (Starline brass and .379" to .381" bullet) you will have no reason to modify your chamber. After 130 years of building rifles, Marlin kinda knew what they were doing. It's the modern folks that couldn't put ammunition together properly dimensioned for their rifles that were the ones hacking on chambers. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Thanks guys!
Yes I had skimmed threads in .38-55 forum, good resource!
Ream the throat? :ahhhhh:Say it ain't so, I'm just wrapping my head around slugging the bore. And re-loading with its concomitant tooling requirements.
Glad the receivers not yet been drilled. Like to find a real old-time peep for it. Or maybe just the tang sight for now leaving the receiver un-adulterated?
Like this say.....

No, you don't need to ream the throat.....unless you want to use non-standard reloading components. For example, fat bullets in 375 Win brass or improper bullets seating methods. I have personal experience with several dozen 38-55 rifles owned by friends and 13 of my own including 8 owned at present and none have required any chamber alteration, whatsoever. In my opinion, it would be extremely rare that a factory chamber would need any alteration unless it had been "bubba" fixed by a previous owner.

JB

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Delivery was taken and indeed it has the "JM" stamp on the barrel. :biggrin:

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Has a Marlin CB 38-55 ever been made that did not have a JM barrel? Is Remington making CB's now?
I did inquire on these here forums and was assured that no Marlin CB rifle had been produced since Remington had become the parent company.

So it was on that advice I bought the gun that I did even though it was not stated in the GunBroker ad that it was a "JM" marked gun and no images in said ad showed a "JM" mark.

While waiting for the piece to arrive there was a thread on these boards about a Cabela's Special that I took from the conversation to be a CB "Remlin".

I may have interpreted that incorrectly, but I was holding my breath until my gun arrived.

Anyways, the point is, for me anyhow, moot now.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So mine doesn't have "COWBOY" stamped on the barrel. Which is ok, be nice if the warning wasn't there either but I thought all C/B's were stamped as such?

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
CB

So mine doesn't have "COWBOY" stamped on the barrel. Which is ok, be nice if the warning wasn't there either but I thought all C/B's were stamped as such?
Hey Twopass,

Let's see if I have a pic:hmmmm:

Later, Mark

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts