Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I got my first centerfire yesterday. I got a 1978 336 in 30.30 (the serial # starts 22 so that means 1978, right?) There is no letter designation after 336, was there only one model at that time or is it just the basic model? I'll probably have to wait to shoot it until sometime later this week, and I'll get some pictures up hopefully tonight. Does anyone have a good history of Marlin's lever guns somewhere? BTW, I'm new here, but I've poked around a bit and might have posted on the rimfire section.

Cheers,
Ted

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Congratulations on taking the plunge. You have lots of fun ahead of you with that gun. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sight options musing

Thanks for the words guys...I'm going to write to the marlin historian and ask for info on the few old marlins I have, so i'll let you know any interesting tidbits I pick up.

I got a weaver rail and rings for this gun and I have a Leupold 3-9 (Vx-1) that will go on it for now to get a feel for accuracy, trajectory, etc. I ordered the Williams peep for it, because I'd like to be able to shoot it non-scoped once I find a load it likes. I just hope *I* can shoot it with a peep!

Ted

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Welcome to MO.. the greatest levernuts surf here..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few pictures

Sorry the pics aren't great. I think this wood will look nice with a little refinishing. I've got a few types of ammo to try if the range is open tomorrow. Scope is a Leupold VX1 3-9x40.

Thanks for looking,
Ted

·
Registered
336 Posts
Very nice rifle! I know most will probably disagree with me.......but I love those white spacers Marlin use to put on their rifles.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Do prefer the Weaver mounts and rings or were they just availabe? I have thm on several of my rifles, they really grip.

SS

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Nice rifle!
I agree with you Leverpuller...I like the white spacers also...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had a used weaver base at the shop

and the weaver rings feel like a quality product. I shot some today, 20 rounds of Remington 170 gr core-lokt, and 6 rounds each of Federal Power Shok 150 gr and Hornady Leverevolution 160 gr. I'll try to get pics of the targets up. I shot off a bench at 50 yards and was pretty happy with how I did.

Ted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts