Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally nailed one down. I have always had a fondness for the Marlin square bolts and have had a hankering for a square bolt with a pistol grip stock. For 15 months, I have been kicking myself for letting a reasonably priced one get away; a specific Marlin model 36 with a half mag tube and fore-stock with end cap. Something about that specific model 36, which rings my bell.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Shotgun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

For a 67 year old gun! It does not look bad as is. But, at this point I'm planning to drop the gun off with my local gun smith in Wellsboro, PA. For $165 plus tax he does an amazing job tearing the guns down, complete cleaning, polishing, hot re-bluing all parts and refinishing the stock. I have had him restore several guns in the past and even the worse shape looking guns end up looking like new when he is done. For me, just the thought of going to pick up the finished gun, it will be like a child at Xmas.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome to a special strain of Marlinitus :ahhhhh:As you said, looks pretty darn nice as is! Looking forward to seeing the "finished product" That Sporting Carbine configuration is my favorite...sure that you will enjoy it!

Reactions: Omnipotent1

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hey O, nice lookin rifle ya got there! Looking forward to seein the retore on it, but it's fine the way it is too.:congrats:

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
Congrats on a great rifle! I've got a 1947 Model 36RC that I absolutely love. What caliber is yours?

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Beautiful rifle ! Congratulations :congrats:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 30-30.

I'm looking to drop it off next week and it will spend 1 to 2 weeks with my local gunsmith. Once finished, I will gladly post the picks.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Same here. Uncle hunted with a square bolt .30-30, SC configuration. Cousin's daughter still has the gun. I'm not sure if it is a '93, 1936, or 36, but I do not recall case colors. I always admired the gun and shot it some when visiting Cousin as a kid. I need one square bolt to scratch an itch.

Enjoy yours,

·
Registered
447 Posts
You'll have to share details of the process and your appraisal of the workmanship.

A fine rifle, well worth the effort!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Omnipotent1,

Where did you find her and how much did she set you back? Looking forward to seeing the after pics. $165 for the work he's doing is a deal!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Approx 15 months ago, I missed the boat on a "but it now" price of $400. I finally ended up at $482 for this one over a year later. Most might think it high, but over the past 15 months I have seen this specific model go for anywhere between $650 on the low side in "so-so" shape, to $1100 in great shape.

Some might think this gun looks good as is, but imagine it looking like new off the factory floor 67 years ago. Based on the results of past restorations, when finished, I expect my miracle worker of a gun smith to make this gun look as good or better then it looked new all those years ago.

In a couple weeks, I'll post some Xmas photos.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Approx 15 months ago, I missed the boat on a "but it now" price of $400. I finally ended up at $482 for this one over a year later. Most might think it high, but over the past 15 months I have seen this specific model go for anywhere between $650 on the low side in "so-so" shape, to $1100 in great shape.

Some might think this gun looks good as is, but imagine it looking like new off the factory floor 67 years ago. Based on the results of past restorations, when finished, I expect my miracle worker of a gun smith to make this gun look as good or better then it looked new all those years ago.

In a couple weeks, I'll post some Xmas photos.
I bought one (same vintage with the strange Marble's front site) about a month ago. Asking price was $650+tax from a dealer not known for haggling. On the way out the door at gun show, I offered $500 OTD. To my surprise (and delight) he accepted! I am happy and think you did well also. Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So....where are the photos of the refinished rifle?

Here she is... I had her shown on another post.
Wood Shotgun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

My 15yr old son (now 16) like mine so much he saved his funds and picked up a model 36 in 32win special, same model and same year of my model 30-30. We added new wood to his and a trip to the local gun smith later we had a pair of fraternal twins.
Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Wood

We we pretty much only shot these at the range now, too nice to take into the field. Our favorite range day with these rifles was the "fathers and sons/daughters shot" on Father's Day at one of our local gun clubs, started that this year. The rules for the Father's Day shoot is no scoped guns, open sights only. What a classy way to show up, with father and son both toting to minty looking 68 year old Marlin model 36 rifles. While aso representing both of the only two calibers this model was factory cambered for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.