Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an observer on this great site for a little while but am happy to say I am now have the above in the gunsafe. 04 prefixed so that makes it made in 1996 I think. In pretty good shape, looking forward to some good hunting.

·
Premium Member
11,579 Posts
RMD,

Welcom to the forum. Thats a good looking 1895 you have there. I have one with a MG barrel that is a very accurate shooter.
I've never really cared whether my 45-70's are MG or Ballard cut. I truely can't say one is better than the other when shooting jacketed ammo, and if you want to shoot cast bullets, just size the bullet .002-.003 bigger than the bore and you'll be fine out to 150+ yards.
That one being a 1996 model looks to be correct.
Factory ammo is generally loaded to pretty conservitive pressures , but If you hand load, you can really bring the full potential of that rifle and cartridge.

I think your going to enjoy that rifle.

Tom

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Nice looking rifle you have there. I've always liked the looks of Marlin's pistol gripped rifles.

Looking forward to the range report,
-Bob George

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.
I've worked up some handloads using 300g JHP's made locally here in Australia. Will only shoot hogs for the moment. Got some coming into my corn crop at the moment and looking forward to catching up with them real soon.

All the best!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners, rmd :D
Very nice rifle mate.

Would those 300gn pills be from The Bullet Factory? IF so, then they are awesome.

May I ask what load you are using?

I personally load them fairly easy with 53gn's of ADI's AR2207 for the 300gr pills and 49gn's of AR2207 for 350 grainers.
Loaded in WW, PMC and R-P brass with CCI #200 large rifle primers.
- just finished loading 110 rounds with the 300grainers for the upcoming AHN Wodonga Big Bore shoot ;D
oh yeah, and hopefully for some piggies in NSW at Easter time :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HotShot2 said:
Welcome to Marlin Owners, rmd :D
Very nice rifle mate.

Would those 300gn pills be from The Bullet Factory? IF so, then they are awesome.

May I ask what load you are using?
:D
Thanks HotShot2 - yes from the Bullet Factory, my reloads right now are middle of the road load: 60gn of Varget/Winchester Brass/Rem91/2 primer. Yet to connect with anything substantial with this load, but hope to change that very soon!
Enjoy Wodonga.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi and welcome from Bundaberg, Australia. That's one fine looking rifle.

·
Registered
20,684 Posts
Welcome from South Florida and nice lookin shooter ya got there!

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
308 Posts
rmd said:
Thanks for the welcome.
I've worked up some handloads using 300g JHP's made locally here in Australia. Will only shoot hogs for the moment. Got some coming into my corn crop at the moment and looking forward to catching up with them real soon.

All the best!
Good to see another Australian getting on board, welcome.
Cheers,
Waldo

·
Registered
308 Posts
HotShot2 said:
upcoming AHN Wodonga Big Bore shoot ;D
Hey Hotshot, what's this shoot?
I'm close by might drop by for a look and see what is going on (or even have a go)?

Cheers,
Waldo

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi Trapper used Marlins are pretty thin on the ground, people tend to hang onto them. Especially in 45-70. There are more 30-30 available then anything. People are buying Rossies because they are so much cheaper and are a copy of the 1895-336 Marlin. Their finish is not bad either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trapper-xx said:
Nice rifle. How hard is it to find used Marlins in Australia?
agree with Moofy. They come up every now and then. The 2nd hand market for Marlin 30/30 & 45/70's in good condition or better holds value well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome, rmd, from Central Texas! And congrats on the 1895SS. I just got mine ready for shooting - had to put a stock on it, as I traded some labor for it. Took it to the range last week, and got myself a sore shoulder. FUN! ::) Hope you enjoy yours as much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts