Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New To Me 1895

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  tradarcher 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals.

I figured I would share in my joy of a new to me 2004 JM 1895

It started life as a guide gun, but the last owner wanted to instal an octagon barrel.
He chopped down the 1895CB barrel so he could install the the 1895G front sight.
So he needed to re-locate the magazine tube stud. Looks like the fore end was a bit longer too so he cut a new dovetail for the fore end cap stud.

He did a little more work to it and shot it a bit but decided to sell it off. Including the 18.5" G barrel.

Figuring that the barrel was already ruined from a collector's standpoint I decided I would chop it to 16.5" and install a new Marble's brass bead front sight.
While I was at it I removed the replacement rear sight and put on a Marlin rear sight.

With he help of a a buddy running his bridgeport and another buddy's dovetail cutter we milled in a new front sight dovetail last night and I think i'm ready to go shooting.
I'm going to mess with some flame thrower loads with a suggested BLC-2 or H335 just to get a couple cool flame thrower pictures and slow motion videos.

I know this mod will probably make some people here cringe but remember the last owner had already changed her around a lot before I got my hands on her.

See less See more
#13 ·
Wish I had a 16.5" barrel CB to pair with the 26" one. Only thing I would change is the thick G forend. But I just prefer slimmer forends.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Well tonight I shot her at 50 yards with the second to lowest sight setting with my favorite load of H4198 and some paper patched lee 405 bullets.
Shot right to point of aim.
I’m very happy.
Now I need to play around more. Lobbed some shots at 200 yard steel supported standing and I was dacing around the steel target. Wish I had better light so I could adjust my holdover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.