Marlin Firearms Forum banner

New to Me 1894 CBC 38 Special

4K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Strugl4xsc 
#1 ·
Hi all, I just won an auction on a great condition 1894 cowboy competition 38 Spl.

I've never owned a Marlin, and this is my first center fire lever action.

It will mostly serve plinking duty at the range.

Question is what factory ammo do you guys run through these guns? I currently do not reload (I might at some point).

I ordered some Winchester white box target loads. They are FMJ. These were in stock and a good price, so I ordered them.

Is it basically true that all 38 Spl rounds are flat nosed? From the pictures I've seen of the FMJ Winchesters, they have a flat nose. Concern for this is for the tubular magazine.

Any help is appreciated. I'll get some pictures up when I get the rifle in my hands.

Thanks,

Jordan

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Don't have any good pictures, posted a link to GB, but didn't realize it isn't a vendor, so you'll have to wait until I get my hands on it.

I think I did ok on pricing. I've seen them go for much more lately.

I wanted a .357/.38 Spl originally, but decided that a .38 Spl only would be fine.

I might pick up a 38 revolver at some point.... But rifle only for now.

#9 ·
I ordered some 22 mag from them Christmas Eve that still hasn't shipped.... Is their shipping normally that slow?

I can get the same offering from federals website (for more money I'm sure) with free shipping if you spend $149.
There is plenty of weather related shipping delays these days. I've been patiently waiting for 3 deliveries by 3 different companies. Where those delivery dates have been pushed back a couple of times to "new" estimated delivery dates after they've already shipped. Sure, it's a little frustrating, but thats what we have to deal with these days.

Call PSA to confirm your order. Especially, if they have already charged you. It's not unreasonable to request to ask, what's going on with your order.

Old Creek

#10 ·
There is plenty of weather related shipping delays these days. I've been patiently waiting for 3 deliveries by 3 different companies. Where those delivery dates have been pushed back a couple of times to "new" estimated delivery dates after they've already shipped. Sure, it's a little frustrating, but thats what we have to deal with these days.

Call PSA to confirm your order. Especially, if they have already charged you. It's not unreasonable to request to ask, what's going on with your order.

Old Creek
I actually got a shipment notification today.

It's one thing to have shipments pushed, it's another to not process the order and create a shipping label. Guess the holidays were in between there somewhere.

No big deal, just is what it is.

#11 ·
Congrats on your rifle and welcome to our forum. This is what you need for your new Marlin. Round nose FLAT point ammo. Round nose isn’t made for tubular mags, ok for revolvers but you would be safe loading 2 rounds at a time. Black Hills is the best stuff out there but there are others. Won these at a big cas match but I build my own .38s. Good shooting
Font Packing materials Material property Rectangle Gas

#15 ·
Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. I use round nose and flat nose in my 1894's. You do not want anything with a point. You would be very hard pressed to set off a primer with a round nose. The Hornady LeverEvolution ammo uses a plastic pointed tip and that is ok.

#21 ·
Finally got my hands on it today. Looks to never have been shot or very little.

Question, does the trigger normally have a lot of forward movement on these guns?

My only comparison is a 9422M I have in a lever gun. The trigger feels a lot different.

It breaks clean and crisp after you take up the movement. Maybe that is just how Marlin 1894 triggers work?

Pictures as promised.

Wood Tableware Fruit Tool Citrus

Office supplies Writing implement Pen Writing instrument accessory Wood

Air gun Plant Wood Trigger Shotgun

Air gun Musical instrument Wood Natural material Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

#24 ·
Finally got my hands on it today. Looks to never have been shot or very little.

Question, does the trigger normally have a lot of forward movement on these guns?

My only comparison is a 9422M I have in a lever gun. The trigger feels a lot different.

It breaks clean and crisp after you take up the movement. Maybe that is just how Marlin 1894 triggers work?

Pictures as promised.

View attachment 871990
View attachment 871987
View attachment 871989
View attachment 871988
View attachment 871986
Gorgeous rifle, welcome to the lever addiction ! The forward movement you’re referring to is just good ol’ Marlin Trigger Flop, It’s a thing, just go with it. It doesn’t affect function or accuracy, if you reeeaaaallly can’t stand it, RPP has a trigger kit that will eliminate it. If it was mine, I’d pull that safety, put a saddle ring delete on it yesterday. Enjoy your new toy !

#27 ·
Welcome and congratulations on your lovely lever gun!

If I may suggest, you will find that shooting factory ammunition becomes quite limiting. As others have mentioned, or at least alluded to, reloading for the .38SPL is dead easy and very satisfying. Because it's a straight-wall case it's really one of the easiest cartridges to reload. Plus you can load it up for "big bang" fun, or load it down for pussycat shooting characteristics.

I personally don't own or shoot a .38SPL rifle but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm trying to find one! I shoot a lot of .38SPL in pistols, mostly revolvers but have had S&W Model 52 autoloaders, too. The .38 is a truly versatile cartridge. And it's very inexpensive to reload.

I find that 158grain bullets work well in "target" loads, around 2.8-3.0 grains of W231 powder. One can shoot these all day and not tire of the recoil or muzzle blast.

Getting started in reloading doesn't have to cost a fortune. Lee dies work just fine, and get their factory crimp die as it will help smooth out any bulges in the case at the base of the bullet. It doesn't matter what press you use, .38 just doesn't stress the press at all. Look for good used loading equipment and you'll get started for little cash. The advantages in reloading for the .38 are many, the disadvantages too few to note.

Have a hoot with that new rifle. We want to read a range report!!!!

#28 ·
Welcome and congratulations on your lovely lever gun!

If I may suggest, you will find that shooting factory ammunition becomes quite limiting. As others have mentioned, or at least alluded to, reloading for the .38SPL is dead easy and very satisfying. Because it's a straight-wall case it's really one of the easiest cartridges to reload. Plus you can load it up for "big bang" fun, or load it down for pussycat shooting characteristics.

I personally don't own or shoot a .38SPL rifle but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm trying to find one! I shoot a lot of .38SPL in pistols, mostly revolvers but have had S&W Model 52 autoloaders, too. The .38 is a truly versatile cartridge. And it's very inexpensive to reload.

I find that 158grain bullets work well in "target" loads, around 2.8-3.0 grains of W231 powder. One can shoot these all day and not tire of the recoil or muzzle blast.

Getting started in reloading doesn't have to cost a fortune. Lee dies work just fine, and get their factory crimp die as it will help smooth out any bulges in the case at the base of the bullet. It doesn't matter what press you use, .38 just doesn't stress the press at all. Look for good used loading equipment and you'll get started for little cash. The advantages in reloading for the .38 are many, the disadvantages too few to note.

Have a hoot with that new rifle. We want to read a range report!!!!
Thanks for the info.

I do believe that reloading is something I will get into.

I know you can spend as much or as little as you want.

Where do most get there load info from?

Any publications better than others?

#31 ·
@DOGMAN you should be able to shoot +P loads. The same action is used for 357 mags, 44 mags, and 45 Colts. Somebody else can chime in but I believe the only difference between the OP is gun and a 1894C is that the chamber is cut for 38 specials versus 357 mags.

I am not sure why somebody would want to shoot the pricier + P loads out of a Cowboy. 1894s are such a joy to shoot.

#33 ·
I think 38 and 357 makes these guns choke more than the bigger cartridges. Maybe yours had a worn carrier?

#34 ·
Welcome to the forum from the great state of Tennessee 👍

And, gorgeous rifle, congratulations 👍

#36 ·
Great rifle you have purchased and welcome. The performance of light loads from a rifle is going to be a pleasant surprise. I feel that you will probably gravitate towards a cast bullet light handload that functions well as to cycling through your rifle and feel that you will be very happy with accuracy and performance of target pistol style 38spl loads. With cast bullets round nose are completely safe for the tube magazine and may feed much better through the magazine. As an example when I started shooting lever action rifle silhouette, many people were using 38/357 in pistol cartridge and some used the 22mag. The 32-20 is considered ideal for this game but whether I just have to do different, I wanted something in between. I use the .32s&w long, and feel that it is accurate and perfect power level. The light loaded 38spcl is just right and in the rifle barrel performance is amplified way over revolver performance.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.