Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just won an auction on a great condition 1894 cowboy competition 38 Spl.

I've never owned a Marlin, and this is my first center fire lever action.

It will mostly serve plinking duty at the range.

Question is what factory ammo do you guys run through these guns? I currently do not reload (I might at some point).

I ordered some Winchester white box target loads. They are FMJ. These were in stock and a good price, so I ordered them.

Is it basically true that all 38 Spl rounds are flat nosed? From the pictures I've seen of the FMJ Winchesters, they have a flat nose. Concern for this is for the tubular magazine.

Any help is appreciated. I'll get some pictures up when I get the rifle in my hands.

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
Hi all, I just won an auction on a great condition 1894 cowboy competition 38 Spl.

Question is what factory ammo do you guys run through these guns? I currently do not reload (I might at some point).

I ordered some Winchester white box target loads. They are FMJ. These were in stock and a good price, so I ordered them.

Is it basically true that all 38 Spl rounds are flat nosed? From the pictures I've seen of the FMJ Winchesters, they have a flat nose. Concern for this is for the tubular magazine.

Any help is appreciated. I'll get some pictures up when I get the rifle in my hands.

Thanks,

Jordan
It didn’t happen without pictures. Welcome from the beautiful Ouachita mountains of Arkansas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Don't have any good pictures, posted a link to GB, but didn't realize it isn't a vendor, so you'll have to wait until I get my hands on it.

I think I did ok on pricing. I've seen them go for much more lately.

I wanted a .357/.38 Spl originally, but decided that a .38 Spl only would be fine.

I might pick up a 38 revolver at some point.... But rifle only for now.

·
Registered
532 Posts

Thanks,

Jordan
Palmetto State Armory has American Eagle(Federal) .38 Special 158Gr. Lead round nose in stock.

Old Creek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Palmetto State Armory has American Eagle(Federal) .38 Special 158Gr. Lead round nose in stock.

Old Creek
I ordered some 22 mag from them Christmas Eve that still hasn't shipped.... Is their shipping normally that slow?

I can get the same offering from federals website (for more money I'm sure) with free shipping if you spend $149.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I ordered some 22 mag from them Christmas Eve that still hasn't shipped.... Is their shipping normally that slow?

I can get the same offering from federals website (for more money I'm sure) with free shipping if you spend $149.
There is plenty of weather related shipping delays these days. I've been patiently waiting for 3 deliveries by 3 different companies. Where those delivery dates have been pushed back a couple of times to "new" estimated delivery dates after they've already shipped. Sure, it's a little frustrating, but thats what we have to deal with these days.

Call PSA to confirm your order. Especially, if they have already charged you. It's not unreasonable to request to ask, what's going on with your order.

Old Creek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is plenty of weather related shipping delays these days. I've been patiently waiting for 3 deliveries by 3 different companies. Where those delivery dates have been pushed back a couple of times to "new" estimated delivery dates after they've already shipped. Sure, it's a little frustrating, but thats what we have to deal with these days.

Call PSA to confirm your order. Especially, if they have already charged you. It's not unreasonable to request to ask, what's going on with your order.

Old Creek
I actually got a shipment notification today.

It's one thing to have shipments pushed, it's another to not process the order and create a shipping label. Guess the holidays were in between there somewhere.

No big deal, just is what it is.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Congrats on your rifle and welcome to our forum. This is what you need for your new Marlin. Round nose FLAT point ammo. Round nose isn’t made for tubular mags, ok for revolvers but you would be safe loading 2 rounds at a time. Black Hills is the best stuff out there but there are others. Won these at a big cas match but I build my own .38s. Good shooting
Font Packing materials Material property Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I saw fmj and assumed round nose, those should be just fine. Love my two Marlins. They’re both .45colts.
No issues I see a lot of reports or using lead round nose on line as well. I could see an issue with a round metal jacket, but don't believe LRN would be an issue?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine. I use round nose and flat nose in my 1894's. You do not want anything with a point. You would be very hard pressed to set off a primer with a round nose. The Hornady LeverEvolution ammo uses a plastic pointed tip and that is ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Round nose and flat nose should all work fine. You might even be able to get wad cutters to cycle!

Congrats on the win. Marlins are great!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts