Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally added an 1894S 44mag to the collection. I was leaning more towards a .357 but couldn't fine one locally and they seemed to be going for quite a bit more than the 44 mags online. I decided to compromise and go with the 44mag since it will be more for hunting than anything else. It joins my 1895 in 45-70 and my 39A 22lr. I picked it up off Gunbroker for $470 after all was said and done(shipping, transfer, etc). It came with the XS sight, so not a bad price but not great either. They're very hard to find locally so I feel it was a good price.

I got it out for some range time with the 45-70. I was shooting the 240gr WWB JSP's at 50yds and didn't do too bad. I'm not sure if the rifle doesn't like the WWB ammo or if I was having a harder time with the .150 aperture of the XS sight and the wider front post. Maybe a combination of both. I'll eventually get around to developing a reload for it and hope for better accuracy. Still good enough for a fall deer hunt though. I did a little better with the 45-70 and Skinner sight with a .094? aperture. I was testing out some new reloads and found a sweet spot at 50grs of H4198 and the 300gr Sierra HP's. On a side note, I was able to use the factory front sight with the tactical sight. Here are a few pics...

The three Marlin levers

The 44mag group...shot at 50yds after sighting in with the XS sights

And the 45-70 group...9 shots at 50yds with the Skinner tactical sight

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
That is a really nice 44 mag Marlin you have there partner. As is the custom in "Marlin World," you have others to keep it company ... good work! Now start thinking about the next ... oh yeah!

bjm

·
Registered
137 Posts
Darn fine shootin there. I'm not a target shooter...minute of deer, minute of bad guy is my goal. ;)

Now, about that 357........................

1 - 3 of 3 Posts