Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker, seldomly post, but I'm excited to show the little 44 I found locally and am picking up tomorrow. 1978 manufacture. It's a shooter grade gun for sure, good honest wear. I passed on the optic and I'm looking into aperture sights. This will go hand in hand with my S&W 29 well. Stock has been nicely refinished, but I'll probably take the high gloss off. Recoil pad will probably go as well. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Sweet looking gun. I love my 44 mag, plenty of fun to shoot. I use a Williams 5D peep on mine, front sight is original. Works great. We shoot 4" clays at 100 yards no problem. My son and I each killed a deer with it last season. Good times. Enjoy it!! IMG_1758.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan...so you're saying your gun didn't require a new front post with that rear sight? That's very useful information. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Duckman,

That is a sweet looking Carbine! Will certainly go well with your M 29!

Later, Mark

Reactions: mancuso

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Duck, she looks sweet. You may want to try it with the pad, not because of recoil but for the extra length of pull, particularly if you are a bit on the lankey side.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
24 Posts
nice lookin gun!! enjoy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lanky wouldn't be the word...tall, sure. 6'3", but generally don't mind shorter LOP. Thanks for the reminder though...I hadn't considered that aspect.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice looking gun, congrats!

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Nice hunter 44. If they used Linspeed you just steel wool it and the shine is gone.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I just wanted to know where you found my rife. I have a 629 that iam looking for the 44mag marlin rifle. You found a beauty for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I posted a want to buy ad on a couple local forums and armslist. Hit came through armslist on the second day. Had a couple Rugers offered at fair prices over at the Rugerforum as well, but wanted a Marlin more. I'm driving an hour to snag it and so is the seller.

Pretty confident I'm doing well on the price. $500 and it comes with 100rds of factory ammo :)

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
You are getting $100.00 and maybe more in the ammo alone, so you have made a great deal on the 44 carbine. Congrats on the sweet deal! DP

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it picked up today. Honestly, it's a little rougher than I would have liked, but I didn't pay new gun price for it either. On my way out shortly to see how it runs.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
We're waiting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not good news I'm afraid. Managed to get 7 rounds fired between three complete jams. I took it down twice and cleared it, can't get this last one cleared up. Cartridge is completely in the mag tube and I can't even tamp it out with a rod. Not concerned with fixing the problem...last owner will be buying this one back tomorrow morning. Stand up guy, not intentional, and he'll make it right. No worries on my end; plenty of fish in the sea.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmmm - sure you want to let it go? I kind of like when something is wrong in the beginning and you manage to fix it. In my humble opinion it kind of make the gun your own. You get a history together. My 39a had a wrong plungerrod and wouldn't feed right. Go 20140126_113459.jpg t a new rod and managed to fix the cartridge stop spring with a pair of plyers. Now it Works perfectly THANKS A LOT TO THE HELP I GOT HERE AT MO!!! My 1894c wouldn't keep the lever locked. It just popped open all the time. Again - thanks to MO - i got it fixed myself. You kind of get to know the gun. You help it to Work fine Again, you kind of earn it's friendship. Far out?? Guess so, but to me it makes sense. Now they are MY guns and we have gone through troubles together.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is a beautiful rifle, man. I love all it's battle scars.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Very nice 1894. I have one also and love it. Mine does not have a recoil pad on it but am considering getting one to increase pull length. It feels a bit short to me. I'm not especially tall or lanky so you might want to reconsider removing it before trying it.
I left the buckhorn sights on mine and regularly shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards using factory ammo. I hunt in thick cover and timber so the iron sights are fine for my purposes. Lucky for me my eyes still work pretty good at distance... Small fonts are another story... lol
Good luck with it. I think you will enjoy your new rifle. Light, compact, accurate and packs a punch. I did refine the trigger pull a bit to get it to 3.5#. The factory pull was around 5.5-6# and a bit grabby. I'm a little picky about triggers. It's now very smooth and crisp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts