Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.
Good looking rifle. DST's too along with checkering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you Steve. Well I guess the above post was a fluke. I can't remember how I did it. I know it's a pain to click on a thread and then have to click on a link to look at pics. I have more photos, especially of the sight to see if anyone thinks they are original. but hopefully a more knowledgeable member here can give a simple step-by-step tutorial so the pics will pop up on the thread.

thanks, redoftx.

·
Registered
964 Posts
O Man that's beautiful! Double set triggers, too!! Pistol grip and factory checkering. I'm drooling all over the key board!! I'm not sure, but it looks like the adjustment screw for the set trigger is missing! Don't know if you know the history of the 1881, but less than 2000 were made in .32-40 and of the 21000 of all of them, only 2500 with double set triggers!! That is truly a treasure, and one of my favorite calibers!!
I just bought a .40-60 with set triggers and it is just plain fun to shoot.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If the screw is busted off, he'll probably have to remove it from the inside by removing the trigger and sear springs and the sear. Hopefully, there is probably enough screw left sticking through that he can grab it with a pliers or file a notch in it to fit a small screwdriver bit. Unless it adjusted right, the trigger will not work and/or the hammer won't stay cocked. Here's what my sights look like. They're both about the same.
View attachment 719274 Wood Bumper Table
View attachment 719278

You will have to reload, ammo and brass is hard to find. They can be made from .38-55 cases but I had a lot of problems with the cases splitting. I even bought some from Buffalo Arms and they split. I was easier for me to form the cases from .30-30 brass, cheap and plentiful. I first ran them through a .32 special sizing die to bring up to .32 cal. Then the .32-40 die for the straight taper. Works great, but cases wind up a little short, but they work fine. 8.2 grains of Unigue gives me holes toughing groups and is pleasant to shoot. I don't like to stress these old timers. Have fun with it and looking forward to a range report!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.