Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always loved lever action rifles so I finally got one. A marlin 336cs 30-30. I really liked the cowboy 35 but i could never find one. So went to my local gun smith to change out the barrel with a 22" octagon barrel custom stock will cost 600 bucks which is more than I paid for the rifle. Question is 2 fold am I crazy to do it, and will it hurt the value of the rifle

·
Premium Member
10,836 Posts
Well, I wouldn't do it. I don't think it will hurt the value, but it may not be worth anywhere close to what you have in it when you are done.For $600.00 you can buy a another nice rifle or a Henry with the octagon barrel. Clean up the rifle or refinish it if needed and shoot it. Send picks ASAP!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
You might be crazy...but not to worry...it's only the beginning...
Seriously though...welcome to the forum!!

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! I wouldn't change the rifle in any way, but would buy another one instead. Then if you like it better you can always sell the first one. Remember, you can't buy just one! We're glad you joined us! Oh, and please post a picture of your rifle!

Ron

·
Premium Member
13,409 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners. Glad to have you with us!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Super Moderator
15,608 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey Steve,

Welcome to MO.

(am wrong guy to ask about custom rifles/handguns, most of mine are modified) LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Welcome to the Marlinitis Quarantine Zone from the dry part of Washington.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Welcome to MO. Our first rule is that you must post pictures. Nobody pays attention to the other rules.

Don't change that barrel. Enjoy the rifle as it is.

DD

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
welcome to the MO from the motor city! i am fairly new to this so i can't, or better yet, won't tell you if it is a good idea or not. do what you feel you need to do.:congrats:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Welcome from Anhorage near Alaska to all things Mariln! If it is crazy you asking the inmates to vote on your sanity. There might be better ways to get an octagon barrel 30-30 but would not worry too much. I have well more than the price of my Marlin 45-70 in custom work based on my thoughts of what it should be. I am happy with the rifle, how it handles and what it does. Many do not agree with a 16.5 inch barrel on a 45-70, a rail for a light (dealt with a grizzly in camp and these are my thoughts of lessons learned.), etc. and I am not done. Assume will never recover the cost of the work but am happy with it. If you enjoy the rifle or at least are happy with learning from the experience all is good in my view. Enjoy the Marlin and share pics! image.jpg (top rifle)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts