Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Marlinowners with "new to me" 336 SC in .35

Joined Marlinowners about a month ago to help find the right 336 for me. I had two other Marlins, a Model 44 20 gauge circa 1925, my grandfather's, and a Model 81-DL .22 circa 1950, my father's. Settled on an SC in .35 and bought a 1960 vintage last weekend at a local gun show in Northern Virginia. Very nice condition on the wood and metal both. No real bargain, but it was what I wanted and the 35 SCs seem tough to find around here. A photo of the family Marlin threesome is included.

I'm planning to put my grandfather's, 1950s, Weaver K-4 on top of the SC on low mounts. The era of these two matches up well and the scope is pretty small. Was considering a peep sight as an option too though. I plan to use the SC to deer hunt in Virginia with shots from 25 to 125 yards in a mix of woods and fields. Any one have thoughts on which would be a better choice and if its a peep, which one?

If I go with the Weaver on top, I was going to mount it on a basic Weaver mount from Midway which sells for about $7. Seems cheap. Any reason to spend more?

Also want to add a hammer spur. Couldn't find one specifically noted as for a 336 on Midway, but was looking at a Carlson's Universal Hammer Spur Extension. Anyone used this with success on a 336?

Marlinitis has set in. Can't wait to run some rounds through it.

Any advice is appreciated.

· Registered
9,156 Posts
Re: New to Marlinowners with "new to me" 336 SC in .35

Very nice lookin SC, seems to be a run on guys finding nice ones. Weaver mount will work fine, find some Weaver Quad-locs at WalMart for $10.00 and you will be set. The K-4 should work OK if still in good shape. Hammer spurs changed from the older models to the newer ones for the Marlins, never tryed the one you are talking about. The 35 is a great old cartridge, works far beyond what it's "paper" stats would suggest. As to not being a bargain, getting one in that shape and that is what you wanted, you did real good. Congratulations on a wonderful old rifle. DP

· Premium Member
5,726 Posts

I agree, that SC looks nice! Congrats on a nice find.

I'll 2nd dpe.ahoy, the Weaver mount will work fine and you should be able to pick that up at Wal-Mart as well. As far as the choice of scope or peep, that's up to the shooter. Pick up a peep and give it a try and see what you're more confident and comfortable shooting with. I shoot with great accuracy out to 125yds+ with my peeped lever guns, but that's me.....everyone is different. You can find an older Redfield or Lyman peep, but it'll look cool with a newer Williams FP peep on it too.

Welcome to MO's.........good hunting!

· Registered
9,156 Posts

Sheez, I totally lost my manners. :-[ Welcome to MO's, great bunch of guys hang out here, except for me, ;D. Lots of facts to be learned here, enjoy yer Marlin Ride, it's a good un. ;) DP

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the advice and the welcome. This is a great site with lots of helpful people.

I think I'll try the K4 on it for now. Kind of sealed the deal when I just came across a great pic on MO of Barenjager's 1960 SC with a vintage K4 on it. This would be exactly my setup. Same year SC model and same scope. Would love to take a deer looking through the same glass as my father and grandfather both did.

May grab a Williams FP peep too as advised and then start looking for something else to affix it to! Maybe a .32 Special in RC...

Thanks fellas

· Registered
518 Posts

Nice find Night Wasp!! Looks very clean and great looking wood on that stock. Would look good with the older K4 on it but they sure do handle quickly in the thick stuff with a regular old peep on there. Either way you go, enjoy that sweet rifle and welcome to MO!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.