Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchassed my first Marlin. Its 336ss. Im anxiously awaiting the DROS. any advise on what ammo to use and what would be a good inexpensive scope to put on it, if i choose to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Welcome to MO. I assume you are talking about a 30-30. Try some 170 gr. of any name brand. (Although there are those that prefer 150 gr.)

When I shop for a scope, I always start with Opticsplanet.com. They have a large selection and prices are OK, usually with free shipping. For a 30-30, my preference is a straight 4 power. Others may disagree. Spend what you can afford. Good shooting!

·
Registered
20,515 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! Just try out a few different kinds of ammo to see what your rifle shoots best, mine prefers 150gr core-lokt

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Welcome from Anchorage near Alaska to all things Marlin. My favorite 30-30 is a trapper take down and oddly shoots 170 Nosler just fine and Federal 125 jacketed HP. It pie pans groups all the 150 grains I have tried and is none to good with other 170 grains. Strange and have no idea why. The last 125 grain are the most accurate. Reviews on Midway say about the same thing with other Marlin. Surprised it works so well and very little recoil. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A hearty welcome from Georgia! I use a Barska 1 to 6 power variable with lighted reticle on my 30-30 and like it. I never thought I'd have anything good to say about Barska but the scope has been working well for almost a year now and the adjustments track well.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome.... My ss loves Hornady LE's, Also likes the cheap Winchesters too.. But The LE's Make the 30-30 a great 200 yard round with ease and accurate.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Some folks find the Hornady LEs to be destructive to game they've shot, so I guess it's a placement thing. They are very accurate though. Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee!

Ron

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
30-30 seems to be one of the few factory loaded rounds that can be found, but still can be difficult to actually catch up with, especially at a LGS. If you are into fustration avoidance, buy whichever 150 or 170 you can find, and test it out. There is a wide range of preference, mine for factory loads is 170gr Winchester Power Points. Decent affordable scopes means Bushnell Trophy to me, I avoid anything Chi Com.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Welcome to MO from east central Florida. I like your choice of rifle. It's on my wish list. I'm certain you'll be buying more of them. They are addictive. LOL
Ammo? I like to use something readily available like 150 corelokt ammo. It is pretty good and readily available in most locations.
Scope? I would recommend something in the 1.5-4, 1-6, 2-7 variable categories. Several good manufacturers, but I prefer Leupold, Redfield and Nikon.
Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
30-30 seems to be one of the few factory loaded rounds that can be found, but still can be difficult to actually catch up with, especially at a LGS. If you are into fustration avoidance, buy whichever 150 or 170 you can find, and test it out. There is a wide range of preference, mine for factory loads is 170gr Winchester Power Points. Decent affordable scopes means Bushnell Trophy to me, I avoid anything Chi Com.
our Walmart has winny's and rem core lokt's.. go figure

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! So that we can grant you all the benefits of FULL forum membership, you must post pics of that great Marlin as soon as you lay hands on it:biggrin: Thanks for joining us! John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts